Why become a member? ×

Mono Straps...

Cameronj279

To cut a long story short I love my Warwick Corvette and wish to keep it however my shoulder doesn't agree! The bass comes in at 6kilos!

I've been considering getting a mono strap to help with the weight issue But at the moment I'm unemployed and the £36 is quite a bit of an expense but if it saves my shoulder from getting buggered.

basically my question is "Are Mono straps worth the money?"

Cameron

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1406244042' post='2509827']
To cut a long story short I love my Warwick Corvette and wish to keep it however my shoulder doesn't agree! The bass comes in at 6kilos!

I've been considering getting a mono strap to help with the weight issue But at the moment I'm unemployed and the £36 is quite a bit of an expense but if it saves my shoulder from getting buggered.

basically my question is "Are Mono straps worth the money?"

Cameron
[/quote]

I found them to be too long, even the short one is very long even at its shortest. I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I'm not a Mark King wannabe either :) .

I use a comfort strapp, which I find to be excellent.

Cameron.

i have a Brooklyn Gear strap that i never use. your welcome to have it. its is the most comfortable high end strap I've ever used apart from the Sadowsky strap i use now. very adjustable, wide, thick and comfortable.. way better than the Mono in my opinion.

just PM me your address details. and i will send it over. if you want it of course. here is a pic for reference.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1406244253' post='2509831']
I found them to be too long, even the short one is very long even at its shortest. I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I'm not a Mark King wannabe either :) .

I use a comfort strapp, which I find to be excellent.
[/quote]

+1, I also use a comfort strap now.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1406245912' post='2509843']
Cameron.

i have a Brooklyn Gear strap that i never use. your welcome to have it. its is the most comfortable high end strap I've ever used apart from the Sadowsky strap i use now. very adjustable, wide, thick and comfortable.. way better than the Mono in my opinion.

just PM me your address details. and i will send it over. if you want it of course. here is a pic for reference.
[/quote]

Good stuff that :)

A good strap can make a lot of difference, but not all the difference. I would have kept some of my lovely old basses were that the case. 6kg is just insane. I have basses that weigh 3kg and a nice Mono Strap makes then really comfy for long sessions.

I have a few Mono straps. The first one i bought was for my Thumb bass and it stopped the slight neck dive too depending on which version you buy. I've since bought another couple to replace older straps. They are good but i think the Comfort Strap is cheaper and probably do same if not better. I did have the Bass Centre version of the comfort strap but the plastic link snapped hence buying the Mono's. The Comfort Strap original versions have metal links i believe. Have a look at Bass Direct site for some better details. They sell both and sure Mark will be able to advise more.

Dave

I have a Mono GS1 "The Betty" strap, and for my 10lb Precision it is ideal. First time I put it on I didn`t notice any difference. It was only when I got home and didn`t feel like I`d had that bass around my shoulders for 3 hours that I realised what it actually did.

For me, the long version on it`s full length is just about right, and I don`t have the bass round my knees, just to cover the belly (am 6ft for reference).

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1406283453' post='2510088']
I have tried zillions of straps, including mono and comfort but I have settled on the gruvgear duostrap. It distributes the weight across both shoulders. It is relatively expensive and takes some getting used of, but I would not be without it now.
[/quote]

I went to a clinic a few years ago with Michael Manring, he was using 2 comfort straps (I guess 1 long 1 short), he'd got them on in a similar manner to the duo strap. Don't know if that's where Gruv gear got the idea from.

😊

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1406273509' post='2509926']
Kudos to you Bub, must be something in the air with all this gear being given away.
[/quote]i remember being skint when i wanted new gear. very frustrating. there is one condition Cameron. you have to practice 12 hours a day.! ;)

I used Comfort Strapps for years but converted to Mono about 18 months ago. They aren't as 'bouncy' as a Mono but I find the spread the weight a bit better and are more comfortable for me.

The Neotech straps are similar to the Comforts but a bit wider and maybe slinkier. I still prefer my Mono though :)

I used Comfort Strapp for a long time.They're very good but I was still getting uncomfortable when playing long nights.
I swapped over to the Gruv Gear Damian Erskine Duo Strap and can honestly say that it's the best strap I've used. Really
comfortable and distributes the weight nicely. I'm guessing that the Solo Strap would be just as high quality if you don't fancy
the comfort of splitting the weight over both shoulders.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1406382637' post='2511053']
I swapped over to the Gruv Gear Damian Erskine Duo Strap and can honestly say that it's the best strap I've used.
[/quote]

Just Googled that and I like the look of it! Also has the advantage of at least partly covering the moobs!
What's not to like?? Answer = the moobs. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1406385606' post='2511085']
[attachment=167668:800px-Michael_MANRING.jpg]
[/quote]

Ha, that proves it! You can't see Michael Manring's moobs at all! I rest my case. And my moobs.

Edited by discreet