Why become a member? ×

Custom '57 Precision bass *ON HOLD*
£250

Shaggy

*SOLD PENDING USUAL* thanks for interest

Just built this and lovin’ it, but looking to fund a Jazz Bass build project! :rolleyes: Note; this is NOT a Fender.

Those who know me know I like to build Fender P bass bitsas, in a relentless search for “the one” (see towards the end of my feedback re sale of the previous one) - mostly using vintage Fender parts. However, here I started with a very nice luthier-made Fender P-type one-piece maple neck from the ‘80’s. I fancied making a ’57 style Precision in the Nash / Bravewood mould; initially was going to be lightly reliced but I didn’t have the heart to – being thin nitro finish it’ll wear nicely anyway.
So, specs;[list]
[*]Body- Precision, solid ash (lightweight), NOS aftermarket (Mighty Mite or similar) that had been in storage for a long time. Thin nitrocellulose 2-tone sunburst satin finish (tobaccoburst). No screw-holes / routes other than for what’s currently fitted.
[*]Neck – 1980’s luthier-built one piece maple, rear walnut skunk stripe, long (34”) scale, satin poly finish (being harder-wearing than nitro), spaghetti “F-----r Precision bass” logo, heel-end truss rod adjust, brass nut. Original chrome (or nickel?) tuners. Nicely aged to a pale straw hue that tinted lacquers can’t duplicate. Chrome neck plate with etched Spaghetti logo.
[*]Pickup – Bareknuckle ’57 split P (handmade, scatterwound, Alnico V). Really, really nice pickup, but I’ll include the box in case buyer wants to change.
[*]Pickguard – Fender made, gold anodised aluminium alloy.
[*]Covers – Fender, chromed, aged
[*]Circuit / controls – CTS pots, Sprague orange drop cap, switchcraft jack, premium grade wire, solder-less connections for pickup. Chromed solid brass flat-top barrel control knobs.
[*]Bridge – Wilkinson vintage hi-mass with solid brass saddles.
[/list]
Only minus points are purely cosmetic, and down the fact that the neck was not made for a Fender body; it’s around 1.5 to 2mm narrower at the heel than Fender neck (so there’s a 1mm gap either side at the neck / pocket), and it must have originally been in a neck pocket longer than standard Fender as there are two screw holes just showing in the rear of the heel with the neck in the current (Fender template) body, which I’ve filled and lacquered - see pic. To me that’s not an issue, and more than outweighed by the fact that it’s a beautifully made neck and a lovely piece of maple - but if it bothered a buyer I can supply the bass as a loaded body, and any Fender-type aftermarket neck will fit perfectly. Likewise I was quite happy with the original tuners, upgraded string tree, and brass nut on the neck, but they’re of course wrong for a proper ‘57P, and if more authenticity was wanted they could very easily be changed.

It’s a lovely light, playable bass with all the proper vintage P tone you could want. In a well-padded Warwick soft case - £250 collected from Swansea, or plus courier shipping within the UK (NB: I drive over to E Anglia from S Wales a few times a year)
Boutique quality for Squier money……… B)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1406312455' post='2510571']
Nice.....and tempting

I've pm'd you my email addy, would you be able to email those pics?
[/quote]

PM replied to :)

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1406320654' post='2510670']
I'm notorious on here for my dislike of P's. But that is beautiful. I really like the unique touch to headstock too. GLWTS
[/quote]

Lol - for almost my entire bass-playing career I've had a dislike of Jazz basses - probably and totally unfairly due to an early brush with a Columbus copy - but have recently been totally sold on them.....

Many thanks for the good words, you have some fab basses there in your sig! :)

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1406323050' post='2510711']

Lol - for almost my entire bass-playing career I've had a dislike of Jazz basses - probably and totally unfairly due to an early brush with a Columbus copy - but have recently been totally sold on them.....

Many thanks for the good words, you have some fab basses there in your sig! :)
[/quote]

Thanks man! However I'm missing my MM Bongo which sold earlier. Bit gutted but it's gone to a good home for a good reason..