Why become a member? ×

Warwick basses 101

BijouDrains

I'm just starting the search for a secondhand Warwick and would like you know if any of you Warwick fans out there could help me out with some info.
I'm looking for a German made, 4 string, and short scale. Model wise I'm not quite there yet as I imagine that there's only a couple of models they do in a short scale. Money wise, under a grand sterling.

Does anybody have an idea what models I should keep an eye out for? With Warwicks, are the German made basses the only ones to go for (if you can afford it)?
Thanks for your help.

Edited by BijouDrains

[quote name='BijouDrains' timestamp='1406354338' post='2510822']
With Warwicks, are the German made basses the only ones to go for (if you can afford it)?
Thanks for your help.
[/quote]

I honestly cannot recall Warwick Germany making short scale instruments, if they did they will be hard to come by,

Check out the price of these corvettes from Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_short_scale_basses.html

Thanks for the replies. Would you folks say the necks model to model are consistent? I know my Fender bass necks pretty well (say, jazz vs. p-bass). Are Warwick necks "fat" like a p-bass or thinner profile like a jazz? I realise this may not be the best comparison :). The only reason I asked is I guess I'm looking for a long scale if I want a German made, and will all the help I can get with my kiddie fingers. Thanks for your help.

There have been a couple of German made short scales but they've been custom shop models.

However, there is a Rockbass corvette short scale which I can highly recommend. Not made in Germany of course, but still a really solid bass and sounds amazing. I was going to sell mine a while back but decided I liked it too much :D

You're on to a loser in respect of a simple answer re neck sizes mate; Warwick necks vary all over the place from year/era and model. Generally... the earliest basses (80's) had the slimmest necks but one thing to note is that the main variation isn't in width it is in depth and profile. Best thing to do is go out and try a few. Unsure where in the UK you are but I have a few you can try (NE).

[quote name='BijouDrains' timestamp='1406366026' post='2510892']
Thanks for the replies. Would you folks say the necks model to model are consistent? I know my Fender bass necks pretty well (say, jazz vs. p-bass). Are Warwick necks "fat" like a p-bass or thinner profile like a jazz? I realise this may not be the best comparison :). The only reason I asked is I guess I'm looking for a long scale if I want a German made, and will all the help I can get with my kiddie fingers. Thanks for your help.
[/quote]

My RB corvette has a jazz nut but a fairly hefty profile which is very comfortable. Same went for my old German made corvette $$ from 2008, but I believe that pre-2006 and post-2012 had much slimmer profiles. Certainly a 1996 corvette and a 1994 fortress I used to have had the slimmer necks. I think generally if the neck is wenge, it's slim, and if it's ovangkol it's chunky.

My Streamer LX 5 and Stage 2 5ers both have pretty chunky necks, more like a P bass but not quite as deep as a Stingray neck, if that makes sense. I would advise you to go and play one, as tht way you can get a proper feel for it before you spend your hard earned on something you may not like.

Whereabouts are you located? If you are in the berkshire/maidenhead area, you are of course welcome to pop in for a jam on my 'wicks if it helps you make up your mind.

Nothing comes to mind re: the short scale though :(

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1406383530' post='2511064']
Evil dead was yours up for sale recently?

I'm sure I've seen a short scale warwick advertised somewhere recently.

Poor old memory :D
[/quote]

It was yeah (mentioned it above), but I decided to hang onto it as it's too good :)

I recently purchased a Corvette Pro Series from Thoman and is easily the most comfortable and well balanced bass I've played. Great sound. Great fit and finish.
Considering selling some off now as nothing else gets played now.

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1406564904' post='2512494']
I recently purchased a Corvette Pro Series from Thoman and is easily the most comfortable and well balanced bass I've played. Great sound. Great fit and finish.
Considering selling some off now as nothing else gets played now.
[/quote]
a big +1 for the Pro Series.
I recently also bought a PS Corvette & was so impressed with it i then bought a PS Thumb bass which is the best bass i have ever played,was a bargain at £708 too.
I much prefer it to any bass i have previously owned so would highly recommend one.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1406631159' post='2513144']

a big +1 for the Pro Series.
I recently also bought a PS Corvette & was so impressed with it i then bought a PS Thumb bass which is the best bass i have ever played,was a bargain at £708 too.
I much prefer it to any bass i have previously owned so would highly recommend one.
[/quote]

Yep, been eyeing up a Thumb myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Comparing a Warwick neck to a Fenders is nearly impossible, they're not similar at all. My German Corvette has an asymmetric neck, so it's chunkier behind the low strings then thin behind the high ones. I really like it but I can't think of a single thing it has in common with my Jazz's neck.

I would definitely get out there & try a few in shops before you delve into the second hand market.