Why become a member? ×

Weight of basses

Telebass

For no particular reason other than curiosity...and a new set of scales! Cheapie off ebay, but seems pretty good. If you looked for similar, they're the ones with a smiley face!

Fender Kingman acoustic ---- 6.5lb
Squier Bitsa Precision -------- 6.8lb
Warwick 'The Alien' 4 --------- 7.1lb
Squier VM P TB --------------- 8.7lb
Fender MIM P Bitsa ---------- 8.8lb

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1406368713' post='2510920']
For no particular reason other than curiosity...and a new set of scales! Cheapie off ebay, but seems pretty good. If you looked for similar, they're the ones with a smiley face!

Fender Kingman acoustic ---- 6.5lb
Squier Bitsa Precision -------- 6.8lb
Warwick 'The Alien' 4 --------- 7.1lb
Squier VM P TB --------------- 8.7lb
Fender MIM P Bitsa ---------- 8.8lb
[/quote]

That seems light for those particular models Telebass, maybe those cheapie scales are cheap for a reason :D

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1406374528' post='2510989']
Since this seems to be a common question, what's the chances of making this a sticky?

We could add to the thread over time and turn it into a world-class bass weight database. :-)
[/quote]

I don't think weights of the main mass market instruments are uniform enough to build a decent database (unless maybe it was continually updated by averaging each duplicated listing).

As an example I've weighed Fender J's and P's ranging between 8.5lbs and 12.5lbs and even recent 'identical' US Standards have been between 8.5 and 10.

The scales back up results I've had before. Thwe Squier Bitsa is my main gigging bass because it weighs nothing. The perfectly normal weight Fender now seems MUCH too heavy!
Try a current VM Precision. the6y weigh nothing at all!
In fact, I may have to go the route of Hipshot Ultalite tuners eventually, because it's not as well balanced as it could be.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1406385946' post='2511089']
The scales back up results I've had before. Thwe Squier Bitsa is my main gigging bass because it weighs nothing. The perfectly normal weight Fender now seems MUCH too heavy!
Try a current VM Precision. the6y weigh nothing at all!
In fact, I may have to go the route of Hipshot Ultalite tuners eventually, because it's not as well balanced as it could be.
[/quote]

My apologies, I take it all back, it was a good purchase :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1406382854' post='2511056']

I don't think weights of the main mass market instruments are uniform enough to build a decent database (unless maybe it was continually updated by averaging each duplicated listing).

As an example I've weighed Fender J's and P's ranging between 8.5lbs and 12.5lbs and even recent 'identical' US Standards have been between 8.5 and 10.
[/quote]

Scratch that then... :-) I didn't think that through, did I?

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1406397410' post='2511224']
Scratch that then... :-) I didn't think that through, did I?
[/quote]
The problem is that real wood is a natural material. The density of the specific piece of wood, the closeness of the grain and sizes of knots etc all affect the weight.

If only...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406394164' post='2511184']
Your bitsa P is literally half the weight of the last one I played :D
[/quote]
It really is almost toy-like. I can wear it for hours and not notice. If I did the Hipshot Ultralites mod, it would not only be better balanced, but half a pound lighter still! The only fly in that ointment, if you like, is that the tuners would almost be more expensive than the rest of the bass!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1406400283' post='2511251']

It really is almost toy-like. I can wear it for hours and not notice. If I did the Hipshot Ultralites mod, it would not only be better balanced, but half a pound lighter still! The only fly in that ointment, if you like, is that the tuners would almost be more expensive than the rest of the bass![/quote]

Not if you buy the Hipshot Licenced Ultralites ;)
They weigh the same as the USA ultralites and work as accurately in my experience.
I bought a full set for my 5 string Squier and they were £58 all in posted to my door. No customs vat etc. (Obviously it would be a tad cheaper again for a 4 string set)

Now my nice VM P5 weighs a friendly 8.5lbs :)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/301188167337

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1406471256' post='2511702']
Will check that out immediately!
:D
[/quote]

Cool :)
My P5 balances perfectly now, so much easier to play.
BTW they are the ones that come on Lakland Skylines, so although they are inexpensive they are certainly not cheapies.
I put some USA Hipshots on my old American Fender. These work just as good for me. Hold their tune for ages.
Only thing is you do have to order from the States as you can't get the licenced ones here.
Still, only takes about a week so no biggie.

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but over [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/241943-mim-jazz-conundrum/"]here[/url] I'm looking at exchanging/picking up a new MIM Jazz - and I just happened to
have weighed this one (2000ish MIM):

[attachment=167767:Jazz_top.JPG]

It's about 9.6 lbs ( or 4.3 kg)
This is from regular bathroom scales. All taken with (me + bass) - (me) - with a quick average so should be close.

Anyway I'm hoping to get one of a similar or slightly lighter weight - definately not much heavier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just out of interest, I've weighed mine.

Wal Pro 2E - 9lbs 12oz (amazed at this, it feels a lot more when I'm wearing it)
Bitsa P bass - 9lbs 9oz (as per Wal, it feels a lot more after a couple of hours!)
Sire V7 5-string - 9lbs 7oz
Shuker custom 5-string - 8lbs 14oz
Yamaha RBX765A - 7lbs 15oz
OLP Ray - 8lbs 12oz
Ibanez BTB 6-string - 9lbs 12oz
Tanglewood acoustic bass - 5lbs 9oz