Why become a member? ×

Took the plunge: Mesa Bass Prodigy

fretmeister

I've never had an all valve bass amp before.

It's definitely not a bedroom amp - it likes being would up a bit. And it needs a full 3 minutes warmup before moving from standby to active.

So far I've tried it with my Sandberg TM5 (Steel rounds) and my Jap Precision (Flats) and it sounds amazing. The preamp is the most dynamically sensitive amp I've ever used. It picks up everything so I need to start playing cleaner. And I'm really glad I've got a good selection of compressors!

Such a thick chunky sound. Totally different to the Genz heads I have.

At 250W it's louder than the 900W class D Genz heads too.

Unfortunately the guys I could have a blast with are all on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I need to wait before I can get in a room with a drummer.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1406383578' post='2511066']
I never go anywhere without a spare amp or a DI!

I did hear about the fuse issue on obbm's one, but he also tells me it's been rock solid since.

So fingers crossed!
[/quote]

I'd forgotten about Dave's internal fuse blowing when we tried to test it :(

I was actually thinking about someone I heard that knocked theirs over and killed some valves, then powered it up without checking (they were at a gig) and it fried somethig and smoke came out :( :(

Can happen with any valve amp of course but because the Prod is a bit lighter than most it could be easier to knock off a cab and it looks like it's sitting quite close to the edge of yours.

I hear that loads of people in the US are using them with CN212's to great effect. With Berg prices currently a lot cheaper I can imagine this is a really tempting setup :) Edited by molan

I've just done 3 weeks as house bass for 3 hours a night at a local Jam with my Prodigy/CN212 and it never missed a beat. Absolutely solid and great tone with the Sadowsky PJ in passive mode. Lots of comments about the bass sounding great and actually cutting through the mix. It even made an old Encore Precision and a 60s Futurama sound really good. :D

Edited by obbm

22kg is still fairly weighty, but nowhere near the usual gut-wrenching valve heft.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1406381198' post='2511040']
Such a thick chunky sound. Totally different to the Genz heads I have.
[/quote]

That's the 'all-valve bounce'. There's nothing like it, and it can't be recreated any other way, in my humble opinion.
When you fire this up in anger with a band I predict you will be a very happy bunny indeed. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406471943' post='2511709']
22kg is still fairly weighty, but nowhere near the usual gut-wrenching valve heft.

That's the 'all-valve bounce'. There's nothing like it, and it can't be recreated any other way, in my humble opinion.
When you fire this up in anger with a band I predict you will be a very happy bunny indeed. :)
[/quote]

It's 29lb / 13kg

Not too bad at all.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1406472170' post='2511713']
It's 29lb / 13kg Not too bad at all.
[/quote]

D'oh! I was looking at the Strategy. That's no weight at all. Even better. :)

It's a very loud amp. My Burman 100-watter is apparently louder than the 1300W at 8 ohms I was getting from my SS Carvin B2000. So at 250W your amp will be very loud indeed.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406471943' post='2511709']
[/quote]

Mesa website says 29lb, which is just over 13kg. Amazing if true!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1406472330' post='2511715']
I hate to think how loud the Strategy is!!
[/quote]

465 valve-watts? With the right cabs I reckon you could do a festival or an arena with little or no PA support.
It would be as loud as a 1kW SS amp at the very least. Probably much louder in fact.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406472657' post='2511720']
465 valve-watts? With the right cabs I reckon you could do a festival or an arena with little or no PA support.
It would be as loud as a 1kW SS amp at the very least. Probably much louder in fact.
[/quote]

Well the Prodigy at 250W is louder than my 900W Genz class D heads.

I'm glad I'm not facing a Strategy re-valve though. That's an easy £300!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1406473040' post='2511726']
[/quote]

A quad-matched set of EL34 JJ-Teslas for my Burman = £54 from Watford Valves. :)
Don't think I'm ever likely to need to replace the 70s Mullard ECC83s in the preamp...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1406473040' post='2511726']
Well the Prodigy at 250W is louder than my 900W Genz class D heads.

[/quote] is that pushing them both to the max without significant breakup?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1406456361' post='2511536']
I hear that loads of people in the US are using them with CN212's to great effect. With Berg prices currently a lot cheaper I can imagine this is a really tempting setup :)
[/quote]

Hmm, just seen that there now £855, down from £950 - tempting, even though I don't need another cab :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1406477130' post='2511763']
is that pushing them both to the max without significant breakup?
[/quote]

Sort of - I kept turning them up until the sound got a bit harsh. The Mesa didn't really get harsh, just more compressed.

Plenty of room for ear damage with both, but the Mesa just seemed to have more of everything.

I need to get it into a proper rehearsal space.