Why become a member? ×

Compensation

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406417050' post='2511399']
Ok, what are bits?
[/quote]

Sediment precipitated by clarifying agents such as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass"]swimbladder from a fish[/url], seaweed, moss,or gelatin. Without a clarifying agent the beer would be all cloudy and murky. Better to have a sparklingly clear pint with a few grungey bits at the bottom of the glass.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1406465888' post='2511647']
Yes... I think I'll go back and try a few...half pints, mind..!!! :lol:
[/quote]

Fatal mistake.

Some moons ago I went to Catford beer festival on a Thursday evening. As I had an 08:00 start at work the following day I went for the 'sticking to halves' bit. Got in & felt as rough as a badger's rough bits - which made no sense as I'd 'been sensible'. All was explained when I tallied up what I'd drunk - 5 1/2 pints in 1 1/2 hrs.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1406481968' post='2511820']

Fatal mistake.

Some moons ago I went to Catford beer festival on a Thursday evening. As I had an 08:00 start at work the following day I went for the 'sticking to halves' bit. Got in & felt as rough as a badger's rough bits - which made no sense as I'd 'been sensible'. All was explained when I tallied up what I'd drunk - 5 1/2 pints in 1 1/2 hrs.
[/quote]

You binge drinkers are the cause of moral decline in this country. :)

Which was the nicest half?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406389673' post='2511142']
[size=4][font=Arial]...I don't think there is any shame in wanting to be paid.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

There isn't and neither is there in playing just for fun or art or whatever reason you wish to do it for.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406389673' post='2511142']...[font=Arial]I don't think there is any shame in wanting to be paid.[/font]..[/quote]

I certainly don't feel ashamed for [i]not [/i]wanting to be paid. We each have different views concerning possessions in general and money in particular. I've never worked for money at any part of my careers, but for the satisfaction of doing that which I am (was..?) good at and liked to do. Yes, I got paid, but that's not why I took the job(s...). Now that I'm retired, I'm paid by the contribution I've made over the decades, and don't need any more. When we play out, it's by invitation from folks that know us and what we do (pop/rock covers...). If, as often happens, we get given a sum of any kind anyway, we either put it into a kitty for strings or a restaurant, or 2 of us renounce our 'share' and we split between the 3 others. It's really only 'pocket money', even for them, and, if we costed up the gear we bring to any one gig, there's no way to make it 'profitable', even if we wished to, which we don't. A pair of hi-hats alone costs about £250, and they're my 'playing out' pair. My 'good ones' cost double that. We play for fun, because we want to. I've no problem with pro musicians being paid (I did it myself for several years...), but don't see it as being the only way to play music. Playing for free, playing for a 'whip-round', playing for a fee... It's all legitimate. The quality of music produced is, imho, not reflected in these choices; there are quality and lesser so in all categories. There's no call for snobbishness nor disdain for any, I feel. It's all good.

I think there is a difference between not taking a fee, and not being able to get one.
Without wishing to derail this, most weekend gigs with go up against a 'free' festival
at quite a few points during the summer.
And quite a few of those can only exist/operate by getting free bands ...
And strangely, they seemed to be handled by an events organiser who also dabbles
at bands and promo...
I am sure it is very hard work but do they buy the 'free' service as well..???

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1406506908' post='2512045']
I think you're probably right, but I don't think it matters - there's room for all isn't there?
[/quote]

I subscribe to [i]"there's room for all".[/i]

There are some guys that will say [i]"playing for free takes business away from my band"[/i]. I challenge that notion. My band has a fee structure, some bands play for free and merely want to be creative and have fun, no problem or shame in that. I don't think were in competition with those bands.

Blue

Edited by blue

Back on topic.

I indicated that we split our fee equally four ways,paid in cash during tear down. There are exceptions, I think when we do multiple nights in a row at a fair or festival (County fairs and Church Festivals are big in the midwest) we might not get paid until the final night of the run. I have no issues with that.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406521475' post='2512061']
I subscribe to [i]"there's room for all".[/i]

There are some guys that will say [i]"playing for free takes business away from my band"[/i]. I challenge that notion. My band has a fee structure, some bands play for free and merely want to be creative and have fun, no problem or shame in that. I don't think were in competition with those bands.

Blue
[/quote]

No, but the event is in competition for people that go and see live music.
Of course, a good band should be worth paying to see but
there are so many festivals on at the moment that people may baulk
at paying to see a band as they get out of the habit of doing so.

You can't really be against a good cause but jeez, these charity shows
must be collecting a LOT ..
I'd like to see the books...... :lol:

If we do a gig for £250 (4 piece band) then that's theoretically £62:50 each. This is clearly too much messing about with change for our band leader who makes it all very simple by paying three of us £60 each and keeping £70 for himself. Every single gig. I'd assumed the additional tenner was being put aside to fund repairs on equipment, buy new gear to improve the band presentation etc. It clearly isnt ;)

Edited by KevB

Talking of compensation; apparently, there is £2,649 waiting for me in compensation for that accident I had last year. I was hoping for more, being as how the injuries incurred have wiped all memory of the incident from my mind. No wonder I can't remember the middle eight on All The Things You Are.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1406534366' post='2512109']
Isn't that the whole point?
[/quote]

So they say.... but I never see the follow up announcements.
Funnily enough, one of the bigger Beer Festivals we do probably has
a music budget of around £5k ( cost of bands ) and it is a ticketed event
and they publish charity donation figures within a week or so of the event.
Whereas the multi band events that still charge entry but have an entirely free bill
( as in bands play free ) are less forthcoming. That may be me missing the
announcements as surely some are very creditable, but I also note some of
these are run by 'eventers' as their bands are always on the bill.
The Sound and stage is free ..?? doubt it, somehow.
I think if a band is desperate enough they could 'work' the whole summer
at these free fests...

Not against them as such but if I want to support a charity, I can always throw
my money in a bucket..

Just as there are sooo many beer festivals now... there are also so many charity
versions as well...
I may be cynical but I just see it as a way of cutting costs and dodging red tape...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1406647860' post='2513416']
No wonder I can't remember the middle eight on All The Things You Are.
[/quote]

If you ever find or remember a middle eight on that tune, Jerome Kern might like to know......
because he never found one.....lol......