Why become a member? ×

Compensation

blue

[size=4][b][font=Arial]Compensation.[/font][/b]

[font=Arial]I go back and forth with this topic. At the end of the day, I have spent years working on this bass player rock & roll thing and I expect a fee (not a big one) for performing, even though I'm am a lowly bar band guy.[/font] :)

[font=Arial]I see some of these dudes that get up on their high horses and say, " [i]I Play for the Sake of Art & Creativity, "I Don't Play Just for the Sake of Money"[/i] or in an ad you might see [i]"We play to have fun"[/i]. That's fine, I say; " I have fun while I'm playing, However, [i]"I Play Bass for People That Pay Me Money".[/i] I don't mean to be flipant and I don't think there is any shame in wanting to be paid.[/font]

[b][font=Arial]The Split[/font][/b]

[font=Arial]What do you guys think about the split and over here I think it's different between cover guys and originals guys.[/font]

[font=Arial]As a bar band (70s rock/ blues covers) at that $500.00 threshold we always do an equal four way split (plus tips) which is distributed to each member before he/she splits after a show. No band funds and none of that [i]"We Will Pay you at Rehearsal"[/i] stuff (except for that rare occasion when the venue pays us with a check :()[/font]

[font=Arial]Know I guess once you start booking gigs over a grand I think the member that booked should get a bigger slice but $500.00 is not worth messing around with.[/font]

[font=Arial]What do you think?[/font]

[font=Arial]Blue[/font]

[font=Arial]"[i]It's Art When the Check Clears"[/i], Andy Warhol[/font][/size]

Edited by blue

If the fee is X or less, we split it equally. If it's more than X, we reserve an agreed percentage to cover rehearsals and transport costs and split the remainder equally. Seems to work and we have very few, if any, arguments about it.

I've never known a band to get tips in the UK, with the possible exception of weddings, when the groom may be feeling expansive...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406391714' post='2511153']
I've never known a band to get tips in the UK, with the possible exception of weddings, when the groom may be feeling expansive...
[/quote]

When I'm feeling expansive I've been known to give a tip to one of the matrons of honour.

To be honest, I entered this thread in the expectation it would be about demanding compensation (ie financial redress) in the event of failing an audition or playing to an insufficiently engaged audience. You know, the usual whiny crap we get here. :lol:

Whatever. Any band I've been in has split the money equally on the night and paid any other costs as they come along.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1406393646' post='2511175']
In my cover band everyone gets an equal split, on the night. If i was in an original band I would have like a band bank account where any takings (if any) could be put towards merch, recording etc
[/quote]

Over here, the originals scene in terms of money is quite different than covers. Originals bands have expenses that cover bands don't have. Like you said recording, merch (however we sell CDs,T-Shirts, and Can Cozies) and have other marketing expenses. They tend to be younger and they are trying to make full time careers from their music.

Most original bands don't get paid, they play the originals clubs which is usually a back room that patrons pay $5.00. I guess if you can get enough family and friends to come they might have a little $$ left over after you pay the sound guys. There's not or support for originals in Milwaukee. It's too bad because we have several really good originals acts here.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406396250' post='2511205']
That sounds about the same as here....but....go on then...whats a Can Cozie? :lol:
[/quote]

I think the OP means a beer koozie! It's a foam cover to stop your beer getting warm... of limited use in the UK, because as everyone knows we [i]like[/i] warm beer... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406396408' post='2511210']
I think the OP means a beer koozie! It's a foam cover to stop your beer getting warm... of limited use in the UK, because as everyone knows we [i]like[/i] warm beer... :D
[/quote]

Yes, we made decent money with those cozies at street festivals last year. They cost about .25 and we can get a buck for them. :D

Blue

4 hour bar gig tonight (new venue for us) with a 9:00p start which means we play till 1:00a. It's one of those Saturday nights I wish I had off. But on the other hand I really need the bread.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406391714' post='2511153']
If the fee is X or less, we split it equally. If it's more than X, we reserve an agreed percentage to cover rehearsals and transport costs and split the remainder equally. Seems to work and we have very few, if any, arguments about it.

[/quote]

Heres a crazy story, there is this couple ( we don't know who they are, really ) that came out to 2 of our shows last year. They tipped each member of the band and our sound man $100.00 at both shows. Go figure?

Blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406396408' post='2511210']
[/quote]

I had a mental picture of a cushion with a logo on it. Uncool here, but as they/we say... Only in America.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1406393646' post='2511175']
In my cover band everyone gets an equal split, on the night. If i was in an original band I would have like a band bank account where any takings (if any) could be put towards merch, recording etc
[/quote]

This is the way I`ve found bestas well.

I was talking to a guy I know in another blues/rock band he joined about a year ago. He was not happy. He was telling me the band has gotten into the habit of playing no-pay gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1406393060' post='2511170']
Well there's a couple of venues that we play where the bar pays a fee and then put the bucket round the audience to contribute so I guess that counts as a sort of tip.
[/quote]

Yeah. I sometimes play at a pub that does that too.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1406403289' post='2511279']
I had a mental picture of a cushion with a logo on it. Uncool here, but ........[/quote] your other half would still want three of them for the back window of the car and 4 on each item of furniture in the living room.

We run a kitty and of course, you have to feed it.
A minimum pay-out on a gig is £270. and anytime we don't hit that figure, we are
running at a loss.
The most we have paid oursevles per head this year is £150... and sometimes to make the show special
we may augment the band. When you add in P.A and lights costs and possibly transport exes, it is
hard getting beyond that £150 per head unless we make a jump to beyond £1500.

We are talking about a gig fee/retainer but all that will really do..and all it can possibly do, is even out the
top and bottom payers so for most in the band, it is as broad as it is long. We earn what we earn but we
may consider robbing Peter to pay Paul certainly in the summer when we have more chance to get the
better paid gigs in....
It does depend on a stable line-up etc etc ...and i think we will consider it for one member only...to keep
the figures under control...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406417050' post='2511399']

Ok, what are bits?

Blue
[/quote]
I'm not entirely sure, sediment from the natural ingredients I presume, think of a processed American beer made from chemicals in a giant vat that comes out as fizzing orange water, well a proper ale is the opposite of that :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406461718' post='2511598']
I'm not entirely sure, sediment from the natural ingredients I presume, think of a processed American beer made from chemicals in a giant vat that comes out as fizzing orange water, well a proper ale is the opposite of that :lol:
[/quote]

Which is why Beer festivals are SOOOO popular.
The thing around here is that they don't involve CAMRA...don't need to for the better festivals,
and then they'll pick local micro breweries for 85% of their product.
They also had 16 Ciders and one of those was Chill Cider... WTF...!!!!!!!!! :lol: