Why become a member? ×

Oh the joys of relearning.

Pixiechick23

Playing around and pleased to discover I can still play a few tracks I'd learned when I was younger. Mainly, The Pixies, Where is my Mind? & Gigantic, Velvet Revolver's Slither, & Pearl Jam's Jeremy. Nothing spectacular and I'm actually playing them at the pace of a snail & bar the Pixies tracks can't actually play all the way through yet but still, hurrah for not entirely forgetting them! [Ok, I 'fess, I checked the tabs once or twice first.] :P

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1406413753' post='2511378']
Playing around and pleased to discover I can still play a few tracks I'd learned when I was younger. Mainly, The Pixies, Where is my Mind? & Gigantic, Velvet Revolver's Slither, & Pearl Jam's Jeremy. Nothing spectacular and I'm actually playing them at the pace of a snail & bar the Pixies tracks can't actually play all the way through yet but still, hurrah for not entirely forgetting them! [Ok, I 'fess, I checked the tabs once or twice first.] :P
[/quote]
Seriously, playing stuff at a slow (but steady) pace is a great practice discipline. If you just blast through a tune, you are probably making mistakes that you don't even realise, and reinforcing bad habits. Play slowly with a metronome or a drum machine and your playing can only benefit.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1406414363' post='2511382']

Seriously, playing stuff at a slow (but steady) pace is a great practice discipline. If you just blast through a tune, you are probably making mistakes that you don't even realise, and reinforcing bad habits. Play slowly with a metronome or a drum machine and your playing can only benefit.
[/quote]
Indeed. I believe playing at the same speed improves muscle memory more than actually learning the tune. I have come across many players whom, once asked to play something slowly, struggle to do so. It's like they have been playing it for so long that they don't have to think about it and it throws them a bit.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1406414363' post='2511382']
[/quote] Yay for good habits! I tend to just go over the same bits slowly over and over til I think I've at least almost got it, then move on to the other bits of the song. My memory can be a little crappy so I just find it easier to repeat things in small chunks. My hands are a little stiff too, kinda contributes to the speed of playing but I do tend to find the more often I do it I get a little faster each time.
I'm just chuffed I actually remembered the stuff tbh, it's been a good 8 years since I've played it.

Yep ! You seem to have a good approach to (re)learning, i.e. practice slowly until the brain and fingers "get the message". The speed in the fingers/hands will come of their own accord in time.

As for the fingers being stiff, do a search on You Tube for clips on hand stretches for bass/guitar.

Best of luck with it. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1406456278' post='2511534']
The first thing i learned on the bass was Money by Pink Floyd and it has never left me.....nice and slow too :-)
[/quote]
Haha yeah, one of the ones I used to play loads.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1406451649' post='2511487']
Yep ! You seem to have a good approach to (re)learning, i.e. practice slowly until the brain and fingers "get the message". The speed in the fingers/hands will come of their own accord in time.

As for the fingers being stiff, do a search on You Tube for clips on hand stretches for bass/guitar.

Best of luck with it. :)
[/quote] Thank you :) My fingers do tend to loosen after a while but not entirely. The difficulty I have in regards to that is, I have cerebral palsy. So the stiffness is partially due to being rusty, partially down to weakness of muscle. I still get there eventually but it can take me a little longer than it generally would someone without CP if that makes sense?
Funnily enough though, my physiotherapist actually praised me for playing and told me to keep it up cause it's actually good physio for muscle stiffness and hand/eye coordination. Badass physiotherapy if you ask me! :D

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1406458585' post='2511557']
Iconic bass line. Nothing to write home about technically, but it is just perfect
[/quote] Simple and awesome. Simple and awesome is one of the reasons I like Kim Deal/Pixies bass riffs. Really simple but really catchy, great when you're just starting or learning from scratch.