Why become a member? ×

Struggling to count this….

Dazed

Da Romeo

I found this chap on Youtube today and have been listening to some of his stuff. Like it and really like his tone

I can [i]feel [/i]and play along with this but I really can't count it or work out the time it is in. Why ?

Can someone please give my brain a rest and help out :lol: :lol:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46TEhD0bMYU[/media]

Edited by Dazed

I have it as 17 quavers... so one interpretation is 17/8. That's the only downbeat I can feel, other than that I can't detect any other subdivisions, but I'm sure there are more odd meter knowledgeable fellas who might have an idea how it's divided.
It has a quarter note feel across it that reverses if you count in four... so I end up counting in 8.
The bridge is in 4/4

Edit... it's starting to feel like 2 bars of 7/8 followed by a bar of 3/8 but with a crotchet across it...
so you could count it as 8 bars of 1/4 followed by a bar of 1/8 :lol: (which for the avoidance of doubt is a joke!!)

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Well, I've given it another bash, and settled on 119 as a tempo (remember, it's at half-speed for me, now...), and I reckon that, for the couple of bass alone bars, before the drums come in, it is, indeed, 4-5-5-3, but once the drums are there, it's (to me...[size=4]) quite clearly 4-5-5-4. Am I really that bad at listening..? [/size] :blush:[size=4] No, no need to reply to that; it was a rhetorical question (but valid, just the same...). I can understand why it's so difficult to 'lock on to'; at half-speed it's easier, but still requires concentration. Anyone thought of asking the players concerned..? [/size] :rolleyes: Now that curiosity has been aroused, 'twould be nice to have the doubt removed, whoever is right (or wrong, or closest, or deaf, or crazy.... :lol:[size=4] ).[/size]

I just love this kind of music, where the groove is deceptively danceable, until you try. Maybe it's because I cannot dance:-).

Using Transcribe, I also get 4+5+5+3 in 17/8. At first, listening in the original speed, I also thought it had to be 4+5+5+4, but I was misled by the syncopation of the bass drum (one 16th ahead on all the ones in the subdivisions except from the first one). I have no clue how to write drum notation, but I'll try to illustrate below:

|b--bs--b|--b--bs--b|--b--bs--b|--b-s-|

All notes are of 16th note length
| = subdivisions of the measure
b = bass drum
s = snare drum

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1406818832' post='2515004']
What is it (link on my computer doesn't even show an image, let alone play any video)?
[/quote]

Can you see this..?

[media]http://youtu.be/46TEhD0bMYU[/media]

... If so, I'd say it's because of the habit of copying the URL, instead of the 'Share' link provided by Youtube (there's never an 'https' using that provided link...)

Edited by Dad3353