Why become a member? ×

Jazz-type basses - edumacate me!

timmyo

Hi there,

my early bass fumblings have led me to think I'd like a J-type - flexibility of sound and playability of the couple I've tried (a Classic Vibe Aquier in a shop, and my friend's Sandberg Electra TT - the latter being wonderfully light too)

Now I don't know what's what really - as i where the value lies. I'll fund it from selling-on the USA SUB Sterling I blind-bought as a first bass (I now also have a Classic Vibe Precision so it won't leave me bassless to do so) and may find some other funds to chip in too. And if this thread leads me to think there's a reason to do so I may save a bit more for something 'nicer' than ££ the SUB will fetch.

So my only thoughts thus far:[list]
[*]Aware the Squier CV Jazz seems to be good
[*]Aware the USA Fender Jazz is the 'real thing'
[*]The Sandberg Electra seemed good (although I'm no expert)
[/list]

What other mid-range things might I look out for?

thanks
Tim

Play as many as you can mate, we all have such wildly differing opinions on taste, expectations and choices, and these can sound quite foreign to others opinions. :)

Obviously the more you spend, the better the wood and components. Some people notice the difference, some don't. But the 'level' you need to reach for is down to you and your bass needs. Play a load and you'll see where you fit into the market.

Good luck finding that Jazz, they are sweet basses!

I'm a relatively recent Jazz convert after many years of staunch P-Bass playing... and I'd agree with the above - if you're not precious about having an F-Decal on your headstock then a CV Jazz sounds good, is very playable and will be as good as you are for a long time to come. But I also agree that you should play as many different J Basses as you can, and hope that when you find 'the one' it's not priced at £5000... ;)

I have P and J basses and the difference between them to me has much more to do with the difference between the necks than the sound when played with a band. Currently, my P is my main bass and the J just comes to gigs as a backup.

My very first bass, bought back in the late 70s, was a Jazz bass copy (Columbus) and I didn't know much about instruments when I bought it; it probably wasn't a great bass... and back then Squiers didn't exist. My next bass was a Westone Spectrum LX, quite an exotic beast acquired in the late 80s, a P/J with humbuckers built by Matsumoku in Japan and beautifully put together - happily I still have it. It wasn't until relatively recently that I got my hands on another Jazz bass, I went for the Squier Deluxe Jazz Active IV (first appeared in active form as a 5-string) and it's a great instrument, nicely finished, pickups are silent when soloed, the 3-band EQ and 'slap switch' offers good tone shaping possibilities but it still has that characteristic single coil Jazz sound if you want it. I don't think you can beat the higher specced Squiers for value for money and a decent sound.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1406496581' post='2511982']
My very first bass, bought back in the late 70s, was a Jazz bass copy (Columbus)
[/quote]

There was one of those knocking around when I started playing bass, and it's what made me lean towards P basses. My first P Bass was a Fender USA 1976 in, er... 1976 so probably not a very fair comparison on which to base my (almost) lifelong aversion to Jazz basses. I am now making up for lost time, however.

Edited by discreet

• 1 month later...

I've got a couple of Jazz basses,
I'm a recent convert, and I now love them
Don't know why I didn't swap over to the Jazz sooner

I've played several, and the best IMHO is the roadworn series
There's a lot of people who don't like the "roadworn" concept
and part of me appreciates this

However, my roadworn is THE best I've played
It's a real keeper

I've also got a USA Jazz, which I might now sell
But I'll not part with my roadworn

I've played a couple of Squiers, CV and VM and they've all been good
Great instruments. Just try as many as you can,
and don't worry about the decal on the headstock
If it's right for you, go for it

Good luck with your search, and enjoy it

Marc

EDIT: I've also got an indonesian made PJ bass, and a new Classic Vibe P, built in China
And the quality of both these basses is amazing! :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1409674420' post='2542115']
buy a Japanese Fender. you will never look back.
[/quote]

This, even though I personally don't like Jazz basses.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1406657883' post='2513511']
3 words......Lakland Darryl Jones.
[/quote]

Three other words.... Ugly As f***.

MTD Kingston Saratoga. Hotter output pups than Fenders/Squiers, and a super-comfy asymmetrical neck profile. Brilliant basses - especially the 5-string - and cheap too. Only two colour choices, mind, and minimalist styling (i.e. no control plate or pickguard) may not be your thing if you want it to look exactly like a Fender Jazz.