Why become a member? ×

Bloody horns making strange noises

Cosmo Valdemar

I've always been very much a disbeliever in horns on bass cabs, and usually have them completely off, but just for a laugh I decided to turn it up on my Gallien Krueger NEO112. Lo and behold it really brought an extra bit of life to my tone, and not at all hissy and raspy as I imagined! So that was nice.

But there was a considerable downside - whenever I played a note, the horn responded with a loud rattly/shaky sound I can only compare to a maraca or something similar. This happened the instant I played a note but was only there for a second - the rest of the note rang out fine. Of course this was still unacceptable as the unwanted noise seemed to be as loud as the note.

Being clever, I remembered I had two of these cabs so grabbed the other one to test and all was well.

As I mentioned before I have never used the horns before. I have owned the cabs from new and have only gigged them once. They sometimes get played for an hour here and there at home but most of the time they sit idle sadly.

Any ideas of what the problem might be? Bloody horns!