Why become a member? ×

Double Bass setups - Hampshire / South Coast?

iamtheelvy

Hey,
I'm just starting to use my upright that bit more that the idea of a decent setup is quite tempting. It hasn't been touched since I bought it years ago, and only ever had a crappy shop setup to start with!

You guys in the know - I've seen decent looking workshops Salisbury and Oxford ways, but is there anywhere closer to home, that being Portsmouth? I have transport, so a bit of travel is not a problem, but less is always better!

Ok well, firstly I would have a look at the topic pinned at the top of this forum about Luthiers: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/204959-db-luthiers-thread/

My personal recommendation if you're playing mostly jazz would be Laurence Dixon over in clapham, who did a great job on my bass and has a long list of prestigious clients (he made the Ronnie Scott's house bass). Worth the journey for someone who really does do a fantastic job. He can get quite busy though, as does anyone who knows their stuff.

Be aware that the demands on setup are somewhat different for jazz or classical playing, and a luthier who is good for setting up a bass to play in an orchestra might not, in my experience, necessarily know what sort of setup would make a good jazz instrument.