Why become a member? ×

Tobias Toby Pro 6. Any one got one?

Biaeothanata-Bassist

Hey guys

I'm looking to delve in to the world of 6 strings at some point and I remembered playing a Tobias Toby Pro 6 and loved it. I own the Toby Pro 4 so it would be nice to have that to go with it.

My question though, does anyone own one on here and if so, can you do me a favour and measure the pick ups for me? I'd really appreciate it as if I did get one, I'd end up swapping out the pick ups for some kind of Seymour Duncan ones as the standard Tobias pick ups and pre amps were always weak sounding to me. Plus I love SD pick ups to the point of having them in all 3 basses and my guitar.

Thanks very much!

I used to have one and it was an excellent bass. You are correct, these are very nicely built - but the pups and pre are weak and let it down a tad....a swap out with nice quality stuff would make it a great instrument.

Unfortunately I cannot help with the measurements that you require but someone on here must own one.

Oh that's excellent! Thanks Chris. I wanted to have it sounded roughly the same as my Toby 4 when i get one so knowing i can stick the same pick ups in it is even better. Hopefully i'll be able to pick one up some time. I'll admit, i eventually want another Pro 4 to convert to an octaved 8 string and the 5 string model too. Have a nice little army of Toby Pro basses haha

I'd definitely check with the specific model just in case, and if buying used ask the seller to measure the pickups for you! I have two Peavey Grind 6 string basses and one of them has SSB5's in (EMG 40 size) with a little wiggle room... The other one's pickup routes are wider AND shorter! (EMG 45 size)

Likewise I owned a pair of Toby Pro 6's. One I upgraded with EMG 40P pickups that were a little short in the recess, but I'm afraid I can't remember how much room there was left over. I suspect the routs were Bart P4 tall, but obviously I couldn't assure you of that.

Oh and my other tip, if you can find them, get the older models that didn't have Bubinga bodies as they were to my mind better made. I've played a good few of each type and the newer models before they disappeared were more likely to have finish issues.

The preamp in the Tobias Pro basses bore a remarkable resemblance to Mighty Mite drop in units and whilst not bad would almost definitely benefit from an upgrade too.

Chris - That's really strange that Peavey changed the pick up size and routes on the Grind series. Which ones did you end up using in the later model with the 45 size routes? (Or is that a stupid question and the reason you said the 45s fit in to the Grind?)

Dan - I know what you mean about the bubinga later models, a friend of mine had the bubinga 5 string one and it felt nothing like my 4 string maple earlier model. It's got a beautiful 3 piece maple/walnut/maple neck with a rosewood board. It's the trans-red model too so it just really accentuates the flame maple wings on it. I know what you're saying about the pre amp, it really is shoddy which is why mine is now totally passive with the SSB-5 pickups fitted to it.

With what you're both saying about having a little wiggle room on each side of the pick ups, I've had both the EMG 40DCs and the SD SSB-5s in the bass and they both left about 1-2 mm each side. Doesn't really bug me much luckily! Thank you to both of you for your advise and heads up though, i really appreciate it.

• 4 years later...