Why become a member? ×

Anyone using NI Guitar Rig?

thisnameistaken

I'm getting to the point where I need more effects than it's practical to lug around, and it's getting expensive too, so I'm looking at Guitar Rig and a Roland FC300 as a potential alternative route. Couple of questions though if anybody knows:

Is it possible to load plugin effects into Guitar Rig or are you stuck with what NI gives you in their bundle?

Would I need to load Guitar Rig into something like Ableton and do it that way? If so does mapping everything to the MIDI controller then get annoyingly complicated?

Can the 'modifier' rack units be used to modify more than one thing? Like... Can you set up an LFO and have it wired to several parameters, and have those toggleable on/off via MIDI?

I know that last one is a bit complicated, fair enough if nobody's done that.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1406572401' post='2512616']
Is it possible to load plugin effects into Guitar Rig or are you stuck with what NI gives you in their bundle?
[/quote]

You're stuck with what they give you I'm afraid.

Would I need to load Guitar Rig into something like Ableton and do it that way? If so does mapping everything to the MIDI controller then get annoyingly complicated?
[/quote]

You can run it in standalone mode (called live mode actually)

Can the 'modifier' rack units be used to modify more than one thing? Like... Can you set up an LFO and have it wired to several parameters, and have those toggleable on/off via MIDI?
[/quote]

This is pretty cool, I just checked and you can use the same LFO modifier on multiple things. I whacked it on the volume and bass tone knob of the bass amp in there and they both move in sync. You can modify up to 4 parameters with one LFO. You can add a second (or third or fourth etc) LFO modifier, set it up with different parameters and apply that to controls on the same thing.

[s]I don't know about midi, I've never tried that but the settings in Guitar Rig Pro do let you set a midi controller.[/s] Just checked and I can plug my Korg Nanopad in and set it up so that one of the pads will switch one of the LFOs on and off. So yes, it can do this.

Let me know if you want me to check anything else for you, I'm learning things that I didn't know before!

Wow, thanks for trying it out for me. :)

Shame there's no way to load in other software effects although I sort of expected it. I guess they need to sell upgrades and there would be no GUI for a third-party plugin unless it was developed specifically for Guitar Rig.

I will also look at Amplitube, thanks for reminding me of it, I thought of Guitar Rig first because I've got a Maschine and I really like it.

No worries mate, like I said I learnt something whilst trying it!

The good thing about Amplitube is that you can download the custom shop version (where they charge a fortune for each amp, cab, effect etc.) and get a couple of free amps/cabs to try out.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1406663113' post='2513577']
No worries mate, like I said I learnt something whilst trying it!

The good thing about Amplitube is that you can download the custom shop version (where they charge a fortune for each amp, cab, effect etc.) and get a couple of free amps/cabs to try out.
[/quote]

The Fender, Orange and Ampeg models are outstanding.

ik multimedia are having a half price sale at the moment on all the amplitube stuff. I use the ampeg svx package as my home practice amp and its the best bass sound I've ever got when plugged into a laptop. I also have guitar rig, but after I upgraded the HDD on my macbook by cloning the old one & also upgraded the OS to mavericks, guitar rig thinks I'm trying to pull a fast one, and whenever I try to use it, it outputs a sine wave after a few minutes and flashes up a message falsely accusing me of using an unlicensed copy. I will probably need to totally uninstall it & set it up again from scratch. I probably won't bother reinstalling it though as amplitube sounds a lot better to my ears.