Why become a member? ×

clean your fretboard with Mr Sheen?

MacDaddy

Silicone products like Mr Sheen are best avoided, as they are extremely persistent and can prevent glues or adhesives from working years down the line if any repair or refinishing work are needed. It tends to creep and spread from where you've used it too. I have seen and heard more than one rant from luthiers on the subject!
For rosewood fingerboards you just want a light oil which won't go rancid (i.e not most vegetable oils), used sparingly and not too often.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Read in previous threads that Mr Sheen contains Silicone, which seeps into the grain and leaves a residue that will mess up anything that follows it

Mr Sheen is banned from spray shops the length and breadth of the country, as the mist hangs around in the air for ages

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1406576549' post='2512686']
Do we have to use expensive oils or will Mr Sheen etc do the job? Or is it a big no no?
[/quote]

Get on with it - I clean all my basses with it as well as amp, pedals, leads, motorbike, bald head, the lot. It does nowt on tarnished frets, though.

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1407282004' post='2519220']

Get on with it - I clean all my basses with it as well as amp, pedals, leads, motorbike, bald head, the lot. It does nowt on tarnished frets, though.
[/quote]
True, it appears to do a good job, as long as you know you'll NEVER want anything resprayed, stained or glued ever after you've done it.

Ah yeah, add to the list; you won't be able to sell it to anyone who knows the problems and can see that you've done it,

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1407414095' post='2520239']
How many Lemmy's need to be squeezed for a bottle?
[/quote]
[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1407421345' post='2520329']
Just the one I believe. :)
[/quote]

I'm sure that if you squeeze the one there will bo plenty to fill many bottles, only not oil... ;)