Why become a member? ×

Combo amp or separates for DB?

gypsyjazzer

I use a GK MB150 with my DB fitted with Ehrlund Pickup. Good sound.
Could that be bettered by using a separate amp. & speaker cab? (To[b] perhaps[/b] get a fuller sound.) Do separates deliver that?
If so what do you use? and did you change from a combo? What have you tried?

Gigs I do are mainly medium / large rooms. (No Glastonbury or Hyde Park gigs in the book!)

Why not try adding another cab to your combo for a fuller sound. Any 8 ohm cab will work. The GK MBX is a good choice.

If you want to try other cabs, i.e. Acoustic Image, Phil Jones, Markbass or p.a. cabs you can bypass the internal speaker and just use the extension cab for your experiments.

Other combos such as certain Phil Jones, Acoustic Image and Markbass etc would give you a fuller sound without going for separates.

If you like GK then a MB200 head and Epifani UL110 is be a a nice lightweight combination.

I've tried too many to list here but I'd be happy to chat later.

At the risk of ruffling a few feathers, if you want a fuller sound, I would ditch the GK. Those cabs are a bit crap and, to me, sound boxy. I swear by my Acoutsic Image stuff and it sounds great, much fuller and warmer (and louder) than the GKs (I have had three over the years and found them all wanting). The AI kit is twice the price of the GK but worth every penny.

Many thanks gentlemen for your input to my question. I have a GK MB150 & an Acoustic Image Coda 3 combo. I find--to my ears anyway--that the GK does have a bit of a boxy sound compared to the AI--the GK having a bit more 'umph' (A rounder sound). To get the same sound on the AI--without the 'boxy'nes'---the bass knob is turned right up and the treble knob turned right down. The choice between the two amps would be the type of band you are playing in.

Despite what all the amp manufacturers say; amplifying the bass is always a compromise to some degree. To a great extent you have to "play the speaker" as well. I'm not much of a fan of GK combos either - but have heard a good "traditional" sound with a Realist (which I don't like) through one of the tiny GK heads and a separate non-GK cab (not to be too specific or anything.....). Try as many different setups as you can - not always practical, I know.

Also, bear in mind that what the amp sounds like under your ear is extremely deceptive. Speakers shoot high(er) frequencies straight out and bass frequencies curve out then back in; joining the higher frequencies approx 3m in front of the speaker. Ergo, lots of bass sounds good under your ear, but boomy and indistinct to the audience. With the lows backed off, things arent so pleasing closeup, but with a long lead you can check to hear what's actually projecting into the room.

Another important point. Our low 'E' may be 40-41hz, but the bass generates so many overtones that when you play that 'E' there's actually not much happening below 60-80hz. Most double bass pickups work mostly on these overtones, so, counter-intuitively, we usually need less bass response, rather than more to get a clearer, more representative sound. Magnetic pickups (eg on electric bass) will pick up the fundamental down to 40hz, or 30 for low 'B'