Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]Voting has now started on July’s Composition Challenge![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here's the inspiration for this month's music:[/size]

[size=5]And here are the compositions. Please listen to each track and pick your favourite:[/size]

[b]Dad3353[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/thats-it-for-the-other-side"]'That's It For The Other Side'[/url]

[b]Leonard Smalls[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/kinigl-of-caerbannog"]'Kinigl Of Caerbannog'[/url]

[b]the boy[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/theboysings/the-carnival-is-over"]'The Carnival Is Over'[/url]

[b]Skol303[/b] [url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/dreaming-delilah"]'Dreaming Delilah'[/url]

[color=#800000][b][size=5]Voting ends at midnight on Tuesday 5th August.[/size][/b][/color]

Well, I[i] just[/i] managed to scrape something together this month between packing and unpacking boxes.

I opted for a psychedelic route inspired by the likes of Mercury Rev and Butthole Surfers, bands I used to listen to a lot during my more wayward years. It was all recorded and mixed during a two hour session last Sunday with pretty much everything played in one take, warts and all. The lyrics took about five minutes to pen on the back of an envelope, and it shows :D

Anyway, it was good fun throwing something together quick smart and relying on improvisation rather than preparation. Something I'll definitely try again.

I haven't listened to any of the other tracks as yet - not Internet at home at the moment - so I have them to enjoy one lunchbreak at work this week.

Cheers all!

I have had a busy month and we have house guests in my 'studio' space , but I did try a few things ,but couldn't pull anything together , despite having a queue of available vocalists . Maybe that is an issue in itself in that making up a composition is all well and fine if I am going to be the guilty party , but to write parts for others to perform is another step entirely . Being glorious weather means more out and aboutness aswell , Still I will vote ASAP , But august could be also be tricky timewise for me , and then Paul knocks one out in a couple of hours :swoon: much respect :D

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1406664009' post='2513584']
Being glorious weather means more out and aboutness aswell
[/quote]

This is much the same for me, ive spent all of my weekends out, and not worrying about music, its holiday season as well so probably another reason why there were so few entries

Voted.... Dad again for me this month. He's getting good at this malarkey. I will leave feedback do the other entries later. Up the walls at the mo. Work, house move (and no!! Skol and I have not shacked up together lol :D) etc etc......
I really liked all the entries but Dads tune seemed to click in my head.

Voted Dad di it for me as his was spot on for the pic, Leonard Smalls came a very close second. great effort everyone I need to get off my ass and put something down even if its speed composition like Skol's entry (hats of to you for that one in the time you had). Will put something in next month :)

Are you on a PC or one of them thar 'phone thingies..? I'm not overly keen on the newer 'feel' of it, but I can at least post comments (from a PC, of course...). Are you sure you're signed in..?

(...but i[i]f it's for leaving disobliging satirical remarks about my bad playing, please ignore the above[/i]... :P[size=4] )[/size]

VOTED! Ahh... the luxury of now finally having an internet connection at home, and just in time :)

Monsieur Douglas (Dad3353) got my vote this month. A brilliant track, bang on the theme, well produced and held my attention throughout. Very well deserved, sir!

Credit also to comrades Leonard and The Boy. Good work guys. We were thin on the ground this month, numbers-wise, but the quality didn't drop an inch.

I may not be up for the nail-biting finale at midnight (new address means keeping new hours), but whomever should win.... Doug... please message me with your choice of photo for the next one and I'll get it up and running in the morning.

Cheers :drinks:

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1407280673' post='2519213']
Congrats to Dad..... You are on fire at the moment. Come on then where's the photo. It's already been 17 minutes.
[/quote]

Thanks, but let me recover somewhat from the shock, please..?

(... [i]Yogic silence, followed by sub-audible "[/i][size=2]Ooooohhhhmmmmmm.[/size][i].." for several minutes, although it seems longer[/i]...)

Well, that's a turn up for the book, all right..! Cats among the pigeons, apple carts upset, Apocalypse Now, general turmoil..! All the more surprising to me, particularly, as my means of 'production' are extremely modest, and quite unreliable. I have to strike whilst the iron is hot; once the system is up and running, I dare not stop, for fear of not being able to finish the piece..! I seem to have struck a chord this time; to be fair, I chose the photo, and had, maybe, a bit of an advantage..? My natural modesty and real bent for mathematics combine, however, to stabilise my vertiginous vision with the thought that 62.5% of the voters preferred the other offerings..! Well done, then, all of you, for gaining the higher vote.
It falls upon me, however, to propose another pic for the August Challenge. I'll be sending it off to Skol immediately after this post, so be prepared for another thrilling Challenge (hoping, of course, that the pic kindles some inspiration..!).
Thanks to all who liked the piece enough to vote for it, and [s]hugs and kisses[/s] manly slaps on the back for the valiant and valorous runners-up. With which... Onward and upward..!

Well done Dad , an excellent piece no doubt, as indeed were your competitors, so well done all, sorry I could not contribute this time.

I will struggle this month as well ,to be honest , commitments being such in the summertime. not exactly making hay , but that sort of thing .