Why become a member? ×

Jezzzus have you see this?

witterth

HA I see now.. :)
I by no means claim to be as accomplished as the fabulous Mr Pratt but I have a very similar right hand action....though my thumb moves up and down the strings more often when I play the higher strings......It was just the way that occurred naturally when I started playing.

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1406627645' post='2513080']
HA I see now.. :)
I by no means claim to be as accomplished as the fabulous Mr Pratt but I have a very similar right hand action....though my thumb moves up and down the strings more often when I play the higher strings......It was just the way that occurred naturally when I started playing.
[/quote]

Me too, on both accounts! I've got a similar hand position with not much floating thumb going on apart from higher strings as well. To compensate for my lack of ability, I used to jump around like some kind of special case on stage so had to use my thumb to anchor my bass a bit. I could then at least carry on playing when I landed without completely messing up.

It's interesting how he slides his thumb down from the pickup towards the E string when he's playing on the D and G, initially at least, then later on he doesn't, remaining anchored above the pickup.

Am I right in seeing that he plays in that sort of classical guitar style where you pull through the string and come to rest on string below? I tend to pull through and then float/hover. I sometimes wonder if I should make the effort to learn how play in the more correct manner - I'm still at the stage where I could change the way I play easily enough.

Looks to me like he's not thinking too much about it.
I've tried to show some friends what I do (which is similar to that video in my own way) and I couldn't do it the same note for note slowly when I was thinking about it. It's always different I feel when you're into a piece and copping a feel for it.

It would be interesting to have a BCers right (or lefty) hand picking close up vid library so we could check out how we all approach it and share ideas.
A using a pick one would be good too as that's my own personal weak point.

Edited by miles'tone

Looks pretty normal playing to me.

Very light touch and "floating anchor". You've got to be anchored somewhere, thumb, wrist, forearm, shoulder, wherever, but IMO anchoring closer to the area of playing improves accuracy. I've yet to see any player I'm interested in using full a "floating thumb" style.

If you think this is tough just put in more hours practising. It'll come.

For me the left hand leads and the right hand just follows. I'd be more interested in seeing how Guy gets his left hand around the notes.

Edited by chris_b