Why become a member? ×

A choice between Shure, Sennheiser and Heil.

TBBassist2011

Hi everyone,

I've just come back from recording, which has fuelled me wanting to get my home recording act together and purchase a microphone for my bass cab, and maybe a multi-purpose mic.

I've narrowed it down to three, the Shure SM7B, Sennheiser MD421 and the Heil PR40. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Heil PR40 and the MD421, but there are little to no sound clips of these microphones recording bass - so I was looking for personal experiences with these microphones. I'm looking for something that simply replicates and captures exactly what is coming out of the speaker/s. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Heil PR40 every time for me if it's for fairly general use.

It has the widest frequency range of all three and sounds fantastic on a lot of different sources.

IME it trumps tge other two as a bass cab Mic!

Edited by 51m0n

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i use a Shure SM7B for recording vocals... never tried it on anything else yet. It is top notch high end quality. if i get a chance i'll have a go at recording my bass cab with it. It's an excellent Mic. I also have an Avalon U5 as my instrument preamp for Bass and Guitar as you get a really transparent high quality bass tone through it and don't need to use one of your Mic preamps on your focusrite if you're trying to record instrument and vocals at the same time.