Why become a member? ×

PA Shopping question - which active monitor

andydye

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408054028' post='2526775']
odd off topic question..... say I went and bought a RCF HD12a.... what would stop that (and a preamp) working as a powered bass cab?
[/quote]
Only the expense. There are several threads on using pa speakers as bass speakers and if you like the sound of DId bass then these speakers should hadle this as well as any. It is still a 1x12 though, so enough for some people but not everyone. Try before you buy though.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408054028' post='2526775']
odd off topic question..... say I went and bought a RCF HD12a.... what would stop that (and a preamp) working as a powered bass cab?
[/quote]
Only the expense. There are several threads on using pa speakers as bass speakers and if you like the sound of DId bass then these speakers should hadle this as well as any. It is still a 1x12 though, so enough for some people but not everyone. Try before you buy though.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1408018061' post='2526276']
I use a Behringer F1220A http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0028GWJCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solid, well made, with rubber bumpers on all the corners . Loads of power (forget the 125W thing, it is seriously loud) Nice 3 way EQ. The Feedback filter actually works!!!

I know Behringer doesn't get much love on here, but mine gigs regularly and I've had no trouble at all from it.

Hard to beat in a 'bangs for your buck' contest
[/quote]
It seems to me they are getting better. The limits to the 1220's are their volume. Max 113 dB from memory. However for most bands who play on cramped stages this should be enough. Once your monitors start to give feedback problems any extra volume isn't usable anyway. I've not tried them but I wouldn't dismiss them without hearing them.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1408080643' post='2526855']
I think the suggestion is that you'd know why it's wrong after just 1 listen to it?
[/quote] I didn't know if it was "one listen and you'll know if it works" or "one listen and you'll understand why it doesn't work" . [quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1408082953' post='2526864']
[/quote] cheers, I may try and find someplace to try that. I would be comparing it to a 1x12 setup anyway.