Why become a member? ×

Modular board question

Lenny B

I play in a couple of bands, and have my 'core' pedals that I pretty much use for all (Tuner, Compressor, Octave, Overdrive, Filter), and my 'effects' that I use with just one band (Phase, Fuzz, Tremolo, Freeze, Delay). I can just about squeeze them all on my Pedaltrain Jr.

But I don't need them all for each gig - I borrowed a friend's PT mini for just the core ones and it was great, but for my next gig I have to put them all back on the Jr.

I could split them into a Mini plus a Nano board, or 2 Minis, but that's then more to carry.

I had a hope that I could fit 2 Mini boards in my Jr bag, but they're too long. Does anyone know of any modular pedal board systems? I was thinking something like 2 minis that be used separately or can clip together and carried in a single case.

(I emailed Pedaltrain to check if they're planning something like this, not heard back yet...)

Anyone dealing with the same issue? Any suggestions (that don't involve too much DIY and stitching a new soft case)?
Cheers

For my guitar work, I just have everything I'll ever need on a Pedaltrain 2, carried in a soft case. There are some gigs where I won't use 3 of the pedals at all, but I still like having a pedalboard for all seasons.

Have you thought about how the pedal order will affect your ability to 'split' the chain somewhere in the middle?

Funnily enough, the split is quite natural - when they're all together on the Jr, it's pretty much top row vs bottom row. It's that I use the top row 90% of the time and the bottom only 20%.

And I have enough to carry about, so any weight saved is a bonus!

A bit leftfield as it requires additional expense (but on something nice :-) ) I have a PT Nano that fits in the 'Guitar Tick' and attaches to my Mono (guitar) gigbag - so one hand for instrument and board.

If you had a Mono gigbag one lot could go in a Nano attached to it, the other in your hand... ?

The other benefit of 2 small boards is everything is on the "front" row - a particular benefit if you also sing and can't look down too often

I ask a bit of a simple question, but if they split so easily (rather than having to reconfigure the entire board), can you not just keep them all on one board, and then just only start and finish your effect chain on the bottom row (when you need fewer pedals) and then for when you need more, just plug into the top row when you need the other effects. forgive me if that's a bit simplistic (i am someone considering setting up 2 pedal boards too :) )

Can your main effects not fit on a Nano board? Even if you had jacks that didn't take up space like George Ls, and mounting them so they all fit, ie not in a nice neat line.?

The nano and mini are so small it's not really that much more to carry than one Jr.