Why become a member? ×

The Lemon Song

wal4string

The band I play with have begun playing a medley of Superstition and The Lemon Song.

Here is my transcription of the 2nd slow section of The Lemon Song, in my opinion the best bit.

Finding hard to remember the whole piece so still having to read it live. Determined to learn it though.

Before anyone pulls me up, I know it's in E but I have written in A. The fact is there are more D naturals in the piece than there are D#, so it is easier to transcribe in A as adding naturals kinda squash the bars.

I have seen several transcriptions but never 100% accurate. If anyone feels they can hear what my ears don't please, please let me know.

As always be sure to change the file extension to pdf.

Edited by wal4string

A great, great song. I remember spending the Winter months of my 3rd year of Uni learning and memorising it note-for-note after the bass solo / break down bit appeared in Bass player magazine.
I'm a bit rusty on it now and I've got about 3 different versions of the transcription from various led zep / rock / bass books but now you've posted this I'll give it a good going over again.
Enjoy playing it, it's in my top 5 "bass" songs of all time.

"Squeeze me baby, till the juice runs down my leg.
The way you squeeze my lemon, I'm gonna fall right out of bed"!

On first hearing The Lemon Song I decided to take up the bass not even knowing what the bass was. It still makes me smile and I hope I have done it justice. As my playing has progressed over the years my transcription has gradually been tweaked as I have have become more understanding of JPJ's style. To that end end I am pretty sure if an isolated track became available you would hear string slaps on the down beats similar to The Ramble On isolated track.