Why become a member? ×

2x10/12 with Ampeg SVT 15E

sanbass

I'm playing a P bass with a 15" cab- an Ampeg svt 15e and Little Giant (1000W) head and it sounds great. But I need a rig tha's going to give me the flexibility to have a more balanced sound, to complement the predominant lows I'm getting at the moment. When it comes to some solo parts the higher registers are just not there when I need them. If someone could suggest a decent 2x10 or 2x12 that would go well with my current set up I'd appreciate it. Also, because the Ampeg is an 8ohm cab I'm having to turn up the volume to almost maximum to cut through the other instruments during live gigs. As far as I understand, the max wattage of the head can be tapped only when going through 2 4 ohm cabs- right? If I get another 8 ohm cab then I'll have 500W into 4 ohms- yeah?

The SVT115E is quite a bright cab. I'd suggest adjusting your EQ before investing in a new cab. Try cutting the bass a bit and bumping the mids and treble. Also, try using brighter strings or using the tone controls on your bass to introduce a nice cutting zing. I used to own the SVT210HE cab and found it waaaay to bassy to use; I swapped it out for the 115 and was much happier.

Larger speakers don't mean that you'll get better lows and smaller speakers aren't necessarily better with high frequencies. In many cases, two 10" speakers will kick out more pronounced bass frequencies than a single 15" speaker will do. Of course, it's down to other factors such as cab construction and efficiency but it's not as simple as speaker size.

If you're determined to get a bigger rig, buy another 115E. It'll look better and you'll sound better because you won't have phase cancellation issues that arise from having mismatched speaker sizes!

Good luck!

Truckstop

I`d echo Truckstops recommendations re another of the same cab, unless you`re unhappy with the tone of it. Doubling cabs gives sooooo much more, it`s a real revelation. That said, as those Ampeg cabs are heavy, personally I`d be looking at a single lighter 212 cab from another manufacturer, something like a Barefaced Super 12, 2nd hand - putting a wanted ad on here for example.