Why become a member? ×

- Help -Lacquer What is the difference between a "mist coat" and a "light coat"

Hi I will be starting to apply clear coats of nitrocellulose to the headstock of my new neck soon, and wanting to get everything right I need to know the difference between "mist coats" and "regular light coats" eg when instructed to spray -- 3 mist coats 15 to 30 minutes between coats -- then 2 regular light coats 30 minutes between coats.

is a mist coat one pass with the rattle can and a light coat 4 or 5? I think the mist coats are to seal the decal and the light coats are the ones I will use to build up the finish by applying and sanding a number of times. best wishes and thanks ....Paul

A mist coat means that you don't completely coat it, but apply so lightly that it doesn't settle smoothly. With a spray can this means spraying from a bit further away so that the 'mist' just settles. This gives a slightly rough texture so that further coats have something to cling to.

It's all about building up the layers very lightly to begin with because a large quantity of laquer will not stick straight away, it'll probably just run. I usually just spray the can once around 1 - 2 feet away in the general direction of the area being laquered. It dries almost immediately. Don't worry about it looking rough at this stage.

There's a reasonable tutorial with pictures [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/decal-application-pic-tutorial.682386/"]here[/url]

After a few of these you should see the texture of the laquer is not smooth. Now you can start to add light coats - again about a foot or two away but moving more slowly and smoothly so that with each coat it appears to settle with a smooth texture.

After a few of those I like to lightly rub down with sandpaper and apply thicker coats. This is where you need to leave at least 24 hours between coats to let it harden before you rub down.

Just remember, it's better to apply too little and have to add more coats than apply too much and get runs, orange peel or milking.

As an aside, mist coats are also used for the final coats of metallic finishes:

"The final metallic coat is dusted on so that the metallic particles lie at different angles enhancing the metallic effect. If the metallic is sprayed too wet, the particles lie flat and the reflectivity is less." - Manchester Guitar Tech.