Why become a member? ×

Speaker grille choice

Guest MoJo

I'm struggling to find a Peavey PRO210 cabinet to sit under my BAM210 combo so I thought about using another 4 ohm 2x10 cabinet. Being quite anal about how the rig looks, I would like the two cabinets to have the same grille. The BAM has a perforated steel grille with square holes. The SWR Workingman Pro is very similar.
I looked at getting a perforated steel grille off ebay and there are such items available. One such item claims 63% of free air which got me thinking, does this then mean one gets 37% of restricted air and what is the effect on the volume/dispersion? What is the best way to protect a cabinets speakers?

Metal grilles every time for me.
Cloth grilles may look pretty (if you have flares in your wardrobe... ;)) but they offer very little protection when the unexpected happens.

As for the '63% of free air' thing, I don't see it making any difference in practical terms - I don't see a cab manufacturer slapping a metal grille on a product that's going to impact its performance capabilities by 37%. ;)

You've actually anticipated a question that I was going to ask re 'Mark to Space' ratios on speaker grills.

I have an old Musicman HD212 cab (2 x 12" + 1 x 8"), (8 ohm 600 Watt RMS) which has a grill that is basically a sheet with smallish (3 - 4 mm??) round holes in it. I'm not at home at the moment so can't say exactly, but I'd say that the split between hole and metal is probably around 50-50.

I have played around with taking the grill off in the past, and it makes a very noticeable difference to the sound. Without the grill it just sounds so much more 'open', which I far prefer, but of course leaves the speaker cones vulnerable.

My Shermann PA speakers have a metal grill (underneath a foam front) which is more like the expanded metal type arrangement, where I guess the ratio is closer to 80% hole, 20% metal, and I have thought about fitting this type of grill to the Musicman cab (but not done anything about it).

Also, I agree with Icastle - grill over cloth ever time for protection and longevity ... and personally I prefer the look as well!

The stuff I've seen on e-bay isn't wide enough for my application, but something from these people perhaps?

[url="http://www.metal-mesh.co.uk/"]http://www.metal-mesh.co.uk/[/url]

Edited by Count Bassy