Why become a member? ×

Double / Dual Truss Rod?

alhbass

I've just taken possession of a second hand Traben Chaos Five - first impressions are very good - I think it was a bit of a bargain.

But it has arrived with a very high action. I'm fairly confident with setting up an instrument and making basic adjustments, but was surprised when I took the truss rod cover plate off (at the headstock end) to see two allen bolts where I've only ever seen one before...

A quick search on BC and Traben's website hasn't yielded any advice about this, so I'd be grateful for guidance from any BC members about how I should go about adjusting them. I guess it's probably just a matter of tightening them by small degrees as with a normal, single truss rod? But maybe there's other stuff I should know before I mess with it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I imagine it'd be like adjusting a Ric but I'm sure someone with better knowledge will come along shortly to confirm/deny this... but firstly, do you need to change the neck relief at all or is it just a case of the previous owner liked a high action?

Edited by HowieBass

You're spot on, just go about it as you would a regular truss rod. I use the 1&2 and then 3&4 strings fretted on the 1st and last fret to check out what adjustment is needed on each rod. People have various methods of checking out the neck relief via the strings, it's a great way to do it as the string in tension gives you a perfect straight line. I do it by sight and experience, others by business cards or measurements.

Double the fun! :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1408035410' post='2526513']
What strings would people use to set the relief on a six string bass? 1&2 and 5&6, or just 1 & 6? Or, would people look at the inner strings as well?
[/quote]

I always like to check them all in the end as some necks can have slight kinks. But I start with the outer ones personally.