Why become a member? ×

DIY valve head

Subthumper

Hi folks, thought I'd share this. I built this a little while ago but thought I'd wait till it'd given good service before I shared it with the world. It's based on a hiwatt dr201, has 4xkt88 power valves, partridge transformers, and Ecc83 and ecc81 pre amp valves. Also has individual bias adjustment for each power valve. The chassis is a 19"rack case which makes it compatible with most cabs. Sound is huge, infinite lows even with a five string, plus very tight mids and clear highs. Have been gigging it for the last year with no problems except for one bad power valve. In all I'm very happy with it and it was very much worth all the work. I will add some inside pics soon. I

Excellent choice of model, if I may say so (yes, we use a Hiwatt DR205; very similar...). I would expect the weight to be as high as the sound quality, of course..! Highly commended; well done. Thinking of going into production..? :happy:[size=4] [/size]

They were taken out of a carlsbro PA200 which was very similar in terms of power supply and output. Not too difficult to get new transformers to order. I've got another carlsbro to gut to build another and also want to mod the pre amp on this one, mid shift, fat switch etc. I've owned a Hartke ha3500 for years and it's a great amp but the valve head blows it away on every level.

Controls are the same as the Hiwatt, normal gain, bright gain, bass, mid, treble, presence and master vol. It's actually quite flexible though I'm researching some parametric circuits for a pre amp design at the mo. Will mean lots of valves but will be nice to nail a frequency. My band plays around Bristol, wilts ,weston super mare. Www.quichetheband.com. it's all covers. Nearest to Swindon is gonna be trowbridge Sept 13.

Edited by Subthumper

Some great feedback guy's, thank you. I'll get on the case of working out a cost, might take week or so, plus I'll factor in the suggestions and additions like DI out and speakons.
The other option I can offer is to rework an old amp like a sound city with all new innards and hot rod paint job to your spec. I'll post up some pics of the carlsbro tc60 I did for my bands guitarist. As long as the transformers are good its a goer plus I'll recycle as many original bits of hardware like sockets and knobs as possible. If this option is of interest let me know.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1406888475' post='2515588']
Neat work, nice. One thing though - aren't the power and output transformers usually oriented at right angles to each other?
[/quote]
Yes bit of a mistake but hasn't been a problem. Orange do the same on the ad200.

[quote name='Subthumper' timestamp='1406887587' post='2515576']
I'll post up some pics of the carlsbro tc60 I did for my bands guitarist.
[/quote]

I'd like to see that. I've got one that could do with a little TLC.