Why become a member? ×

Letts Bass - Issues?

Bassman72

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing any build quality issues with their Letts Bass? I have a 7 string Letts bass that has always had, what sounds to me, as an earth problem. When you let go of the strings you get a buzz...touch the strings and it is silent. It is so obvious that you hear the buzz cutting in and out as you play. But it gets worse! I removed the cover to check the wiring, and not only was the soldering sub standard (one wire was barely attached), but I noticed the shielding was split. On closer inspection, I noticed that the bottom layer of wood had been split and re-glued at some point. On further inspection, the shielding is split due to the crack starting to spread into the other layers of wood. I have tried contacting Jon Letts, but my recent emails never get a response. I am also pretty sure that the original website stated that the bass would have a lifetime warranty....I couldn't find any mention on the new site. The other issue that I have is that the frets aren't level, but the bass is about 2 years old now so I will give Letts the benefit of the doubt on that one as frets can move over time. So back to my question, has anyone else had any build issues.

Edited by Bassman72

Letts Basses are very active on FaceBook (posted some pics only last night). I would contact them there first as they may be prepared to rectify the problems. Starting a wider discussion on QC issues to be frank may end up with you doing yourself out of a mutually acceptable solution. Good luck either way!

[color="#009030"]https://www.[b]facebook[/b].com/[b]lettsbasses[/b][/color]

Cheers Clarky. I have sent a few messages over the last few months, and none have been responded to. I initially had some responses, so I know that I have the correct address. I have accepted that they are not willing to help resolve the issues, hence I am curious if anyone else was having similar problems, or if I have just been very unlucky.

Is yours one of the ones with the wooden bridge or has it got a metal one? I'd imagine that getting a good earth on the wooden bridges is tricky. It might just be that the earth wire has been pushed into the wood, not uncommon at all on many production basses.

Matt

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Bassman72' timestamp='1407276777' post='2519185']
Hey Matt. It is a wooden bridge with a metal back plate, but your right, it may be worth checking if it is making good contact. Cheers!
[/quote]Hi. I am happy to help out with any issues with pickups. They have been developing constantly over the last few years and there have been a few that had noise problems stemming from unshielded pickup lead wires and underpotting. These issues have been resolved and I'm happy to replace pickups that have problems. Please email me if you have any questions. Thanks. Jon.[quote name='Bassman72' timestamp='1406905456' post='2515816']
Guess that rules out fixing a crack! :/
[/quote]I don't offer a repair service unless it I am responsible for the damage.