Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT/ Portaflex

mike_b

Was thinking of replacing my Ashdown MAG600 and 410T with the following heads/cabs:

SVT450 head
Portaflex 500 or 800 watt head

SVT410
Portaflex 410

I've read nightmare stories about the portaflex 500watt head blowing up and a lot of people moan about how dissapointed they are by the SVT450, should I steer clear or is it just a few unlucky people?

Based in the Portsmouth area and there aren't any local shops that stock these particular cabs and heads for me to try out, so any advice would be great!

I have had my PF500 for about a year - it has given me no bother at all and is a great little amp so far; I love the sound of it. But yeah I have read the horror stories too and I have to say that it does weigh on my mind a bit when using it at gigs and this isn't ideal. We rely so much on our equipment and I don't have complete faith in my amp which does detract from my enjoyment of it a bit. I hadn't read the bad press when I bought it (wish I hadn't since) but I think if I had I would have chosen something else (GK MB500 most likely).

I`ve had two PF500s, the first no issues at all, the second didn`t make it through it`s first rehearsal. I`m yet to read any issues re the PF800.

The PF410 was a great sounding cab, especially when paired with the (when it worked) PF500.

Soundwise I`d recommend this set-up, but I`d go for the 800. Then you`d get 400 watts into a fairly efficient 410. Should be more than enough for most if not all venues.

Yeah the 450H is a big heavy head that sounds like their BA line of amps that is defiantly Ampeg, just not as Valvey as their other offerings. The PF series comes closer to a real SVT/VB4H, not quite but their light weight small size can be a big plus to some. I'd go for the PF800 which have been pretty roadworthy with very few problems. As far as cabs go the PF I believe goes a bit lower than the SVT otherwise are going to be pretty close.

The SVT-450H is a B2RE closed in a big, wooden cab. Big, heavy, and not really overwhelming. SVT-410HLF is the cab I like the most, but it's a little awkward to move and it's full and pillowy lows are not always liked among bass players.

I'd suggest PF500/800 with PF cab. OR SVT-3PRO with SVT-410HLF.

Really liked the PF sound in a shop demo...( Andertons ) but wouldn't buy one.
Smoother than a Markbass ( which I think are 'generally' harsher,) but I would have to try
one ( PF ) at volume before I went any further.
I couldn't have the reliabilty issues either

Thanks for advice guys, really appreciate it.

I've got the opportunity now to own an SVT410HE for £220, should I go for this or wait until I have the money for a Portaflex head and cab?

This will be used for metal, will it be able to handle the low B string?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407146269' post='2517665']
Any decent 410 should easiliy handle a low B.
You wouldn't need that good a chassis to be rated at 150w...
so that makes it a 600w cab potentially.

Having said that... if s/h, a loud-ish demo is a must.
[/quote]

Not sure i'll be able to demo it at loud volumes is the trouble as it's at his house, i'll certainly ask though.

Well as it's Ampeg it would expect it's high quality and will be able to handle the low B

If there's an opportunity to get an HLF instead id give that a go. The port at the bottom will help "woof" your sound across the room. The effect a port has on a heavy wood cab is quite stunning. If you can, try the two against each other in a shop - hopefully you'll see what I mean :)

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1407151875' post='2517757']
If there's an opportunity to get an HLF instead id give that a go. The port at the bottom will help "woof" your sound across the room. The effect a port has on a heavy wood cab is quite stunning. If you can, try the two against each other in a shop - hopefully you'll see what I mean :)
[/quote]

Just been having a look at Ampeg's site and specs and I do see what you mean, it seems the SVT410HLF is more suited to lower tunings as such.

I'd love to try them both out side by side but trouble is finding a shop nearby that stocks them unfortunately.

Just been looking at the PF410 cab and it seems to be ported too, and seem to go to lower frequencies:

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410hlf/

http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-410hlf/