Why become a member? ×

One, maybe two 112's needed. £600 available. Suggestions?

solo4652

While I sit around waiting for a B/F Midget to come up for sale, I'm researching lightweight, 250/300w 112 cabs. Budget max is £600 for two.

Outline specs: Weight max = 12kgs, 250/300W minimum @ 8 ohms, tweeter not necessary, prefer new but good secondhand also OK

List so far, in decreasing order of desire;

Secondhand B/F Midget

New TKS S112

errr

Secondhand Tecamp XS112 (I've seen Scooby's for sale ad, thanks)

New Fender Rumble 112

I've dropped Mike Walsh a line at Purple Chili to see what he has.

I've looked at used Bergs, Epifani, Schroeder, etc but I'm not finding anything that fits within the 250W/12kgs/£300 parameters.

Anything I've missed?

Steve

I've just received a very interesting email from Mike Walsh at Purple Chili. Two 112's, 400W @ 8ohms each, Eminence Delta 12FLA drivers, not sure of the overall cab weight, just within budget. Hmmmm

Actually, just one cab of 400W @ 4ohms would probably be OK. I'll ask for a price and weight.

Edited by solo4652

Deciding if you need one or two needs to be at the to of your list IMO, a pair of ok twelves will still be better than a singular twelve even if it's a better cab, I'm sure we will have our nay Sayers but I'm man enough to admit a pair of the hartke or GK cabs would be better in a gig situation than my singular Genz twelve even though the cost of one would buy a pair of the hartke twelves for example, this is why I have a 2x12 version for proper gigs.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1406812127' post='2514921']
I've just received a very interesting email from Mike Walsh at Purple Chili. Two 112's, 400W @ 8ohms each, Eminence Delta 12FLA drivers, not sure of the overall cab weight, just within budget. Hmmmm

Actually, just one cab of 400W @ 4ohms would probably be OK. I'll ask for a price and weight.
[/quote]

Was just about to suggest that Mike would be a good bet.
He makes amazing cabs and every one I've seen have been nicely finished and incredibly light!
Plus they're made right here in the UK :)

Eude

@stingraypete1977

I have a 210 cab loaded with Eminence Delta 10's and I really like the clear, middy tone I get. I much preferred it over the Compact for gigs because, to me, the Compact tone was a bit too rich and thick, especially with my Fender P. Trouble is, the 210 cab is too unwieldy for rehearsals (stairs...)

So, my main need is for something light and powerful enough for use at rehearsals, maybe teamed up with a second cab for gigs so I don't have to wrestle with the heavy 210 cab. 5-piece country-pop band. Rehearsal recordings (through the air recordings, no post mixing) here (no tittering please!): [url="https://soundcloud.com/stella-rossa-band"]https://soundcloud.c...ella-rossa-band[/url] playing pubs, wine-bars, private parties. Sometimes I DI through the PA, but I prefer not to have to rely on that.

Edited by solo4652

Hi Steve,
As someone who has had a pair of Mike Walsh's Zoot 1x12's for around 8 yrs now, you know what I would say. The drivers he is proposing are the same as in mine and I have been more than happy with them. I have bought and sold loads of cabs over the years but always kept the Zoot's.
The secret is in the super lightweight ply Mike somehow manages to get hold of that make the cabs as light as a fart. It is great being able to use 1 cab for a small venue or onstage monitoring and then the 2 if you want to really make some noise.

Yes - I remember playing through your Zoots and wanting to buy one off you! Mike is saying that a 112 cab with those drivers comes out at almost 13 Kgs. I'd maybe prefer something a bit lighter and less wattage for rehearsals, and have a pair for gigs. Getting picky now...

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1406819445' post='2515012']
Yes - I remember playing through your Zoots and wanting to buy one off you! Mike is saying that a 112 cab with those drivers comes out at almost 13 Kgs. I'd maybe prefer something a bit lighter and less wattage for rehearsals, and have a pair for gigs. Getting picky now...

Steve
[/quote]

That's not that heavy mate, my tiny little Mi10's are a notch over 10kg and an Aguilar GS112 is 19kg!
13kg should be an easy one hand lift, assuming you're not walking miles with it...

Eude

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406820842' post='2515042']

Very affordable too, if my currency conversion is correct... I'm assuming the prices are in Swedish Kroner?
[/quote]

I think you can two, including shipping, for under £600. I could be wrong though :)

Dammit, now I've got TKS GAS!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1406821011' post='2515044']
They are, and the exchange rate is very favourable.
[/quote]

I assume they sound particularly good with a Limelight Jazz Bass..? :D

Edited by discreet

Yep - the TKS S112 is joint favourite with the Purple Chili V12.

S112 is 250W RMS @ 8 ohms, 10 kgs, Looks like this: http://www.tks.se/

Purple Chili V12 is 400w @ 8 ohms, 12.3 kgs, Looks like this: http://finnbass.com/showthread.php?p=175540

Similar prices, similar turnround times.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1406817483' post='2514991']
@stingraypete1977

I have a 210 cab loaded with Eminence Delta 10's and I really like the clear, middy tone I get. I much preferred it over the Compact for gigs because, to me, the Compact tone was a bit too rich and thick, especially with my Fender P. Trouble is, the 210 cab is too unwieldy for rehearsals (stairs...)

So, my main need is for something light and powerful enough for use at rehearsals, maybe teamed up with a second cab for gigs so I don't have to wrestle with the heavy 210 cab. 5-piece country-pop band. Rehearsal recordings (through the air recordings, no post mixing) here (no tittering please!): [url="https://soundcloud.com/stella-rossa-band"]https://soundcloud.c...ella-rossa-band[/url] playing pubs, wine-bars, private parties. Sometimes I DI through the PA, but I prefer not to have to rely on that.
[/quote]

You defo need a pair of something then, I dont think even a really good 4ohm 1x12 will keep up with a pair of average 8 ohm 12s, OK the single 4 ohm 12 might sound lots better than the cheaper on on their own in direct comparison but it sounds like you need an 8 ohm for practice and a matching one to add for gigs rather than the 4 ohm leaving you wanting come the big night?

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1406810564' post='2514906']
Look at the GK Neo 112-ii cabs. Great value, build and importantly tone.
[/quote]
[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1406810833' post='2514908']
This! I have two of them.
[/quote]

I like the look of the TKS and Purple Chilli, but haven`t heard them. I have however heard these GKs and they are very nice sounding cabs.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1406839870' post='2515288']
Discreet.

Sorry - not quite sure what you mean by; "Those [Purple Chilis] are very exclusive though..."
[/quote]

The Finnbass thread you linked to talks of an exclusive offer for a the first lot, but as you'll know having spoken to Mike, they all flew out the door and have worked out so well that he's going to continue to offer the design for sale as part of his standard range.
I much prefer the vertical orientated design and when I can afford it I'll be selling my Mi10s and getting two of Mike's 1x12s for sure!

Eude