Why become a member? ×

210 and 115 mix?

Highfox

Little bit of advice needed.
I'm liking the sound I'm getting from my New Fender rumble 500 combo, it's a 210 config and I like the punch form those 10's being pushed.
It goes pretty loud but I was thinking to add another cabinet (GAS strikes lol) and I really wanted it to be in the rumble series, I have a choice of a 115 or 410. I'd like it to be a 115, I have read about phase issues running drivers of different sizes (tho I never noticed it personally when I used to run a Trace Elliot 410 and 115 together. Do you think it would be that noticeable if I stuck a 115 under the 210's?
I'll probably have to order from Thoman so there is no way I can do a shop test and have to do a return if it's no good.
I do have a spare Aguilar GS 112 at the studio I could stick under there just to see how it sounds, but guess being a different make and driver size it wouldn't be a true representation.

Just wanted your thoughts.

Should be fine and a 115 should be a better match with a 210 than a 410, IMO on the basis that the 115 is going to be around
300w @ 8 which is what a useful 210 will be, typically.

I favour a 212 underneath but I run the 212 at 4 and a 210 at 8. You'd need an amp to go lower than 4 ohms tho
so youe thinking works, IMO.
I would also think about another 210 but it might stack a little lower.... but the plus may well be that the combo has enough bass
but not too much. Depends on the cab units you are thinking of as well, in that regard.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1406834373' post='2515207']
Why not add another 2x10, if you like the sound of it?
[/quote]

Hadn't thought of that. I thought I'd got over my 410 crush, maybe not then! I had been using 12's for a good while now.
I'd like to keep it in the new rumble series really, so it's either 115 or 410.

I`ve had a good few 210/115 set-ups Don, and never had any issues. They`ve always been the same brand mind, so I`d say of you`ve been that happy with the Rumble so far, keep it in the family so to speak. A lot of the techie stuff makes sense, but what the ears hear makes more - if you like, you like, irrespectiveof right or wrong in the science world.

The downside of adding a 4x10 is the 4 drivers are getting 1/2 of what the other 2 are.
I'd be in favour of another 2x10 & stacking them vertically for a consistent sound.
A 15 with a 2x10 does mean unpredictable results. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

• Like 1

Much of the established wisdom about mixing drivers comes from a time when a typical 15" had no more excursion than the 10" it was under resulting in the 15 being little more than an amp stand for the 10's. I'm not sure that this is still the case as the drivers we are seeing these days have much better excursion and hence air moving capability. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable forum members will either confirm or confound my 'new' theory :-)

There is no reason why a 2x10 should sound better or worse than a 1x15. All drivers and cabinets are different and if your 15 has a similar rsponse on and off axis to the rumble's 2x10 and the same sensitivity, you will be fine. The problem is that no one publishes the figures. Bill Fitsmaurice will probably say I am wrong and if he does he is more than likely right but two wrong 2x10s will sound bad and so will a mixture of cabinets with unmatched drivers. If the two enclosures are identical and had more than a 100 hours or so use, they should work well together.

• Like 1

[quote name='Mr.T' timestamp='1406845354' post='2515354']
I used a GS112 as a 'bottom' cab for a while, with an Ashdown 2x10 neo on top.
I was so impressed with the Aggie cab that I built a pair of 12's.

As you already have the cab, it is worth a try :-)
[/quote]

Thanks, I gave the Rumble 500 a try today with one of my Aggie GS112's underneath... soundwise it was spot on, thought it sounded nicer than the Aguilar's paired. Still be interested to try the Rumble 15, especially as they look so cool :) These are really great amps and cabs imo.

• Like 1