Why become a member? ×

Best Graphite Neck

chrisanthony1211

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Times New Roman]I was wondering what the consensus is about who made / makes the best graphite necks for bass. I've owned a Status Stealth and currently have a Status S2 Classic and love playing these graphite necks above and beyond anything else I have tried. I have never had the opportunity to play any other make of graphite neck but I’m now tempted to increase my graphite neck collection and wondered whether there are any major differences between Status, Modulus, Zon, Vigier necks ect. All thoughts and experiences are welcomed.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chrisanthony1211

I have a Modulus, it's simply amazing. They don't exist as a company now though, so have become a bit rare, and the ones that do come up for sale are very expensive.

I have to say though, that I haven't played another make.

My next bass is going to be another graphite necked instrument, I want a either another Modulus or a Zon, 6 string fretless.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1406841478' post='2515307']
I forgot to mention moses, I have heard some conflicting reviews on their necks but I have seen them come up on eBay from time to time. I do fancy a modulus and can't help thinking that they could well be a good investment if held onto for a few years!
[/quote]

I mentioned Moses as the brand not to buy - for the reasons you mention - not as a consideration (it's the brand I couldn't recall in my first post)

I was really tempted by a fretless zon 6 with a lightwave pickup system on eBay a couple of months ago. It was beautiful and went very cheap, around £1300 if I remember ex shipping and taxes.

There was a Basslab on here recently, very modern design but all graphite and light.

I own 8 Modulus basses. 5 Q5's (4 pre-truss rod, one with truss-rod), one Q4 (truss-rod), one Flea 4 (no truss), and one FB5 (truss).
My favorites are the pre truss-rod Modulus necks. They are sleek and fast in comparison with the chunkier truss rod equipped basses.
The transition was 1998-1999, FYI.
But be careful. I have had to adjust the truss rods on several basses, and I have seen and heard about at least a dozen warped necks. A huge hassle and somewhat expensive, by all accounts, if no truss rod is available. I sold one nice Q4 because of the neck, and passed on buying several others for the same reason.
Also, the clear coat is prone to discoloration and clouding on the 1999 era instruments, and chipping and peeling on all years.
Nevertheless, I believe that once you find a 20 year old Modulus with a dead straight neck, it is unlikely to change for the next century!.

Edited by hidesert

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1406842722' post='2515322']
There was a Basslab on here recently, very modern design but all graphite and light.
[/quote]

BassLab instruments are made of something they call "Tunable Mixed Composite" It does include carbon/graphite, but it's not the same as "pure" carbon fibre.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1406841478' post='2515307']
I do fancy a modulus and can't help thinking that they could well be a good investment if held onto for a few years!
[/quote]

Modulus have gone out of business, so you'd be looking at a second hand instrument.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1406843463' post='2515340']
A question for graphite-neck experts if it's not too off topic - why do some have a nice tidy woven look, and others have a kind of 'messy pile of triangles' look?
[/quote]

It's to do with how the carbon fibre fabric is laid up in the mould. The "messy pile of triangles" was exclusive to Modulus and called Thousand Ladies Dancing (KLD). Apparently it's only the outer layer, beneath that it looks just like the regular weave.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1406843463' post='2515340']
A question for graphite-neck experts if it's not too off topic - why do some have a nice tidy woven look, and others have a kind of 'messy pile of triangles' look?
[/quote]

Status have the visible weave, and Modulus have the 'messy pile of triangles', it's called 1000 ladies dancing, I prefer it's randomness to Status's regularity :).

I think that the best Modulus values are the earlier Quantums, the VJ's, and the Vertex(?) models. The Genesis series are in the same price range, but have a bit different neck construction that isn't 100% carbon fibre. In the US, any of these can be had for around $1000 if you shop hard, maybe a bit more for the Quantums. You may end up upgrading electronics to your taste, but the woods and finishes on the bodies tend to be extraordinary, and the necks are fantastic. I do think that they are going up in value and becoming less available.
Like ANY Fender or other bass, mind the neck before purchase (Does that sound British enough?).

[quote name='hidesert' timestamp='1406843332' post='2515338']
I own 8 Modulus basses. 5 Q5's (4 pre-truss rod, one with truss-rod), one Q4 (truss-rod), one Flea 4 (no truss), and one FB5 (truss).
My favorites are the pre truss-rod Modulus necks. They are sleek and fast in comparison with the chunkier truss rod equipped basses.
The transition was 1998-1999, FYI.
But be careful. I have had to adjust the truss rods on several basses, and I have seen and heard about at least a dozen warped necks. A huge hassle and somewhat expensive, by all accounts, if no truss rod is available. I sold one nice Q4 because of the neck, and passed on buying several others for the same reason.
Also, the clear coat is prone to discoloration and clouding on the 1999 era instruments, and chipping and peeling on all years.
Nevertheless, I believe that once you find a 20 year old Modulus with a dead straight neck, it is unlikely to change for the next century!.
[/quote]

Mine's a 1999 model, with a truss rod.

The finish is immaculate, I didn't realise how old she was until someone on Talkbass explained how the serial number works (990810). I was thinking she was maybe 3 or 4 years old maximum, I was totally floored when I discovered that I'd bought a 14 year old bass.

I haven't had to touch the truss rod at all, the relief is as it was set when I bought her a year ago.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1406844082' post='2515344']

Status have the visible weave, and Modulus have the 'messy pile of triangles', it's called 1000 ladies dancing, I prefer it's randomness to Status's regularity :).
[/quote]

Fair enough. "1000 Ladies dancing" definitely beats "messy pile of triangles". Note to self - never work in marketing :-D

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1406883051' post='2515516']

Fair enough. "1000 Ladies dancing" definitely beats "messy pile of triangles". Note to self - never work in marketing :-)
[/quote]

Don't worry marketing would be my nightmare job too 😊.

The status bass weave always reminds me of reptilian scales 😊 the modulus 1000 ladies dancing (can't actually see where that name comes from), is quite hologramatic, changing colour as you tilt it in the light.

Geoff Gould the original founder of modulus is still building graphite necked instruments, though not on the scale of modulus. They're amazing looking basses, there's a link here to his website.

http://www.ggould.com/home.html

Edited by ambient

I've owned a couple of status and both have been great, one with a truss and one without, I hear great things about the Peavey Quad and would take a close look if one came up for grabs on here. The musicman cutlass is a tempting beautie, I just can't help thinking that I'd like a truss rod with my graphite neck these days, with no truss rod the only way to change relief is via string gauge which is not ideal, I think that if that cutlass had a truss I'd be buying the wife some flowers some time soon and possibly spending a night or two sleeping at a mates house!
Another big positive I think for Status basses is that Rob and Dawn are so easily contactable, unrivalled customer care from the man himself! Can't go far wrong with that.
What are people's thoughts / experiences of graphite necks with or without truss rods?

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1407183403' post='2518195']
I've owned a couple of status and both have been great, one with a truss and one without, I hear great things about the Peavey Quad and would take a close look if one came up for grabs on here. The musicman cutlass is a tempting beautie, I just can't help thinking that I'd like a truss rod with my graphite neck these days, with no truss rod the only way to change relief is via string gauge which is not ideal, I think that if that cutlass had a truss I'd be buying the wife some flowers some time soon and possibly spending a night or two sleeping at a mates house!
Another big positive I think for Status basses is that Rob and Dawn are so easily contactable, unrivalled customer care from the man himself! Can't go far wrong with that.
What are people's thoughts / experiences of graphite necks with or without truss rods?
[/quote]

Never played one without, but like you, I'd be happier with one, despite the fact that I've never had to adjust mine.