Why become a member? ×

Max Volume

JuliusGroove

Hey guys,

I have the mark bass CMD 102p 2x10 combo, I have recently started playing with a samba band and the bateria leader thinks my amp won't cut it as it's only a 2x10. I've never taken this thing more than halfway on gain and volume and it's always covered it but as there are 8 percussionists it is quite loud..

Is there a risk of me blowing it up if I take it up too high in gain or volume or is it designed to cope with it's max volume/gain settings?

Thanks!

I doubt it'll blow up at full whack on the master volume, it ought to be able to handle that otherwise you might as well fit a self destruct button ;)

Preamp gain is a different matter - you turn that up full whack it probably won't do any harm, but it'll sound awful and clipped to hell unless your bass's output is seriously weedy. When it comes to gain, I turn up the gain until the clip light starts coming on then back it off a bit. It's OK for the light to flicker a bit when you're playing your loudest, I think. Preamp gain does not equal volume, it's just the first stage of amplification and it should be matched to the particular bass you're playing.

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1406880196' post='2515482']
I have the mark bass CMD 102p 2x10 combo, I have recently started playing with a samba band and the bateria leader thinks my amp won't cut it as it's only a 2x10. [/quote]The purpose of the backline is to provide enough volume for you and the others on stage to hear you. A 210 should be sufficient for that. Covering the room is the PA's job. not yours.

If it is going to get loud, I'd be in no doubt, I'd be coupling with another cab.
300w of bass is a lot of load for 2 10's... so I wouldn't drive it hard as
when any distortion kicks in it is hard to hear what is stressed...

I don 't believe amps of this type amp up too well anyway, so to help it...
( and I generally rate this type of combo ) I'd get the load down to 4 and
the cabs doubled up.