Why become a member? ×

Behringer BDI21 Mids Mod

BigGuyAtTheBack

Hi Folks, been meaning to do this mod for a while now. I've not been using the BDI21 for a while now due to it losing a lot of mids from the sound plus coupled to my BBE preamp even more mid loss!. Found the mod on youtube by a guy with the handle of FrankenP. Its fairly straightforward and requires a fine tipped soldering iron, a steady hand, a 10K, a 470k resistor and two switches. It works well and you get your mids back and the notch switch gives the sound a bit more zing!?. Will try it out at our next marquee dance next weekend.

Hi Chris, apparently the mid switch disables the mid scoop and the notch is subtle. Not sure about it. I think it removes a filter in the treble end of the spectrum. A wee bit more 'zing' to the top end? hard to describe. My conversion is a bit rough, just used the components I had lying about the mancave. The two holes either side of the earth switch were for the switches, unfortunately they were too big for that position, oops!. I think I'll get another BDI21 and make a neater job, maybe a stomp button for the mid switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Used the modified BDI21 on two gigs at the weekend. The pedal is now a lot more versatile, lots of mid punch now. Finally have the fingerstyle tone I want live now. The pick tone can be a little in your face but can be toned down by switching off the 'notch' setting. Well worthwhile modification. If anybody wants the mod doing lets know.

It certainly has a scoop Cheddatom but it all depends on what bass goes into it. My Aria SB600 is fine with it as its middy sounding anyway but its weighs 11.5 lbs and its a bit much on a 3hr set. My Westone Thunder 1A just seems to get lost with it. My live setup is a BBE preamp into a stereo power amp and a 15 n 2x10. The BBE on 'flat' setting (passive tone stack) still has a bit of mid scoop on it. I love a scooped sound when practicing but it just gets lost live IME. Liking 'Creepjoint' by the way and it didn't sound too scooped on my crappy computer speakers!

Good points, just wondering if it's worth me doing this mod... If I get the time I'll buy another one and mod that

I'm not the bassist in CJ, I just recorded it (well, and play drums, but that's not a real instrument is it!? I might as well be a guitard!)

I would do the mod as it definately helps with a dark sounding bass. Just another tonal option. It can be set back to the standard sound with the mod switch, nothing lost. Good drummers are worth their weight in gold! Our drummer is the most talented in the band, it took a long time to find him! Guitards, ten a penny pah! :D

What a brilliant mod, I watched FrankenP's video on youtube (i'm sure he's a user on here too?) and it sounds really good! So good in fact that I looked up the price and found that JunoRecords are doing them for £27 with free 24 hour delivery (edit - this is where i've just got mine from, avoid GAK, they say its in stock then you get an email saying minimum 4-6 week delivery, still awaiting my money back from them and it's been 3 days!)
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/behringer-bdi21-v-tone-bass-driver-di-bass-amp-modeller-direct-recording-preamp-di-box/493811-01/

Has anyone done a true bypass mod on one of these? I'd love to know.

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist

I've literally just purchased one off GAK and i'm going to pop to maplin's later on today to grab 2 DPDT switches for when it arrives.

[quote name='BigGuyAtTheBack' timestamp='1408451976' post='2530257']
The true bypass mod is on the cards for mine but I never noticed much difference with the bypassed sound and the normal sound. I tend to have the pedal on all the time now and just flick the mid switch for either a bassy scooped sound or a more middy sound. Simples!
[/quote]

To be fair, i'd only use it for certain parts in my bands set so i'll be turning it on and off a lot. Plus when it's that cheap, i don't mind fiddling around with it to make it "better". So Have you got a diagram for doing the true bypass mod to it as i'm useless at working things out like that?

Cheers dude

• 1 month later...

Yup, it's all good. Lots more presence in the mix now (well, in PT projects, but that's not a bad point of reference).

I tend to play Jazz basses, so taking the scoop out of the pedal made LOADS of sense, as my bass scoops the mids out naturally - I've got to keep what I can!

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooooh!

Been carrying round a BDI21 as a spare for a while now, occasionally using it in my home studio. Have noticed a bit of the mid-scoop but have always been able to EQ it back in.

This looks REALLY interesting, may order a couple of DPDTs and some resistors and give it a whirl. For cost of the pedal and the components, can't really go wrong.

Edited by tonyf

Well, I used mine 'in anger' for the first time today. I've done some home recording through my 'Mids Modded BDI21' and loved the sound, but today I fired it through the big amp (SWR SM400 and Hydrive 4x10) as we had a day's pre production before recording commences tomorrow. Awesome. Nice grind, beefy tone but with a lot more presence in the mix. I play (predominantly) a Jazz bass, so there's already a mid scoop in my sound before it even hits the board, so it really helps to bolster my sound.

Do it - you won't be disappointed. Or maybe asia friendly BCer to do yours for you, it literally takes minutes and makes a helluva difference!

• 1 year later...

Technically you could put another blend pot in place of the switch (looking at the schematic while typing). The switch shorts out multiple filters in the circuit so you could blend between the filtered signal and the signal pre-filter.

• 11 months later...

[quote name='Sabs4001' timestamp='1456910052' post='2993358']
Can this mod be done with a pot for more control? If so which switch would be replaced?
[/quote]

Bit of a thread revival.

Has anyone done this mod with a pot? To end up with a 3 band eq?