Why become a member? ×

SOLD Early 70's Precision Bass Refin Candy Apple Red SOLD
£1200

geoff90guitar

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3]Lovely early 70's Precision, with a classic P growl. Very light (around 8 lbs). Balances perfectly with no neck dive.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#11053b]Replacement tone knob. Neck is solid and stable, truss rod works fine.[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#11053b]Recently refinished back to Candy Apple Red by Jaydee guitars in Birmingham, replacement Bartolini pickup and electronics, original pick guard cracked in a couple of places which has been replaced with new but original will be included in the sale. Replacement tone knob. Neck is solid and stable, truss rod works fine.[/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#11053b]A few months ago I purchased this Precision bass guitar, from 'wateroftyne' in a stripped natural state[/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#11053b]I have shown the guitar when it was sold to me as natural and as it is now.[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#222222][url="http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/geoff90guitar/library/Fender%20Precision%20Early%2070s%20Natural?sort=3&page=1"]http://s1355.photobu...l?sort=3&page=1[/url][/color] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#11053b]There was also a clip on the net showing [/color][color=#11053b]'wateroftyne' playing this bass through his Mesa Walkabout and TKS but I can't find it now, perhaps he could oblige?[/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#11053b]'wateroftyne' [/color][color=#11053b]provided me with a comprehensive description of the guitar which follows: [/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][color=#11053b]"[/color][i]Here's a couple more clips of it - It's got flatwounds on it, 'cos I like an old-school tone.[/i][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=3][indent][i]Heres some more info:[/i][/indent][indent][i]From the look of the cavities, it was originally Candy Apple Red. At some point the neck and body have been stripped and clear-coated. Whoever did it did a good job. The neck stamps are still visible in the neck pocket (T Chambers), but unfortunately the date stamp (if it was there in the first place) has gone from the heel.[/i][/indent][indent][i]It's currently loaded with Bartolinis, which sound big and have lots of growl. If I was keeping the bass, I'd keep 'em in. They sound great.[/i][/indent][indent][i]I'm not sure what is and isn't original in the electronics. Theres an original looking orange cap in there... the pots aren't so I'm assuming the rest isn't.[/i][/indent][indent][i]One tone knob has been replaced - it has squarer shoulders than normal.[/i][/indent][indent][i]The strap buttons have been replaced with Schaller strap locks.[/i][/indent][indent][i]The G-screw and spring on the bridge:[/i][/indent][indent][i]Should be the longer screw, but has been replaced at some point with something newer and standard length, along with the spring. They're both shinier than the others.[/i][/indent][indent][i]The (original) pick guard is cracked in two places. Presumably at the time it was refinned, theres been a little bit of shaping done to straighten up Fenders early-70's wobbly edges around the neck joint. Its just cosmetic though - you can see it on the photo looking down on the neck joint.[/i][/indent][indent][i]The neck is solid and stable, and feels great. The truss works fine. The neck sits a little low in the neck pocket for my liking (I like quite a bit of daylight between the strings and the pickup) so theres a shim in there at the moment."[/i][/indent][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by geoff90guitar

Hello Steve,
The neck I would say is C shape, may be nearing a U but not chunky, if you know what I mean. It's very very comfortable.
The case shown is included so protection should be fine and I can post it through one of the Interparcel companies.
Geoff

After 'wateroftyne' has kindly put that clip on, I note that he's stated B width neck. He is probably far more technical than I am so after
measuring across the nut/first fret it confirms 'B' type as the measurement is 1 5/8 ins.

• 1 month later...