Why become a member? ×

Compression?

noooooob

THE resource for compressor reviews is the Ovni Labs website - you could spend hours checking out all of the reviews and find out which budget pedals are clones of more expensive originals. The Behringer DC-9 gets a fair review on there. [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1406958437' post='2516177']
Behringer DC-9 it is cheap well made and well worth trying to see if you like compression without breaking the bank
[/quote]

Very good recommendation imv. Punches well above its price. I`m a similar type of player and what I`ve found to give me more oomph on the higher notes/strings is increased mids, rather than effects, but for an always on compressor, the DC-9 is a nice little pedal.

I've got a Behringer DC-9 too. Got it for around £18 new. I wanted one to even out slight variances in playing and to help notes ring out for longer on slower songs. It does the trick. I need to boost the bass on the amp ever so slightly as it does cut the lows a little but you have to go high up in the compressor ladder to get one that doesn't. My next bit of GAS is for a MarkBass Compressore :)

I'm using the Mooer Yellow Comp currently… It's supposed to be like the Diamond Compressor.

Only thing is the Diamond Compressor is supposed to work with guitars mainly, so if you use it with bass you'll lose a little low-end.
This is why I use the Mooer as a subtle limiter rather than a proper compressor.

If you lose a little tiny bit of bass you can always bring it back with your amp's EQ.

Give it a go, see what you think.

Edited by adamlunt

[quote name='adamlunt' timestamp='1407033837' post='2516816']
I'm using the Mooer Yellow Comp currently… It's supposed to be like the Diamond Compressor.[/quote]

Is it? That's very interesting.

[quote name='adamlunt' timestamp='1407033837' post='2516816']Only thing is the Diamond Compressor is supposed to work with guitars mainly, so if you use it with bass you'll lose a little low-end.
[/quote]

There is a Diamond Compressor specifically for bass that loses neither top nor bottom and sounds amazing - it's the, er... Diamond Bass Compressor. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407150499' post='2517734']
Is it? That's very interesting.

There is a Diamond Compressor specifically for bass that loses neither top nor bottom and sounds amazing - it's the, er... Diamond Bass Compressor. :)
[/quote]

Someone's on the attitude pills today I see. :rolleyes:

Edited by adamlunt

• 4 months later...

forget about the compressor; you need to set up your bass better. My guess is that your strings are too low and the pick- ups are too close on the high strings, limiting the dynamic range. Try experimenting with action adjustments to even out the response of your bass; trying to chase that down electronically will be far less effective. Low action is the enemy of good tone, just a tip. :-)