Why become a member? ×

delays...loopers.... advice from users please

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Right, I'm after some advice from folk that use delays and loopers.

This is what I need:

The ability to play for up to three minutes (maybe more) and then repeat that section of music with live playing over the top.

The ability to repeat notes [u]once[/u] that I've just played (say either a minim or semi breve at 80bpm) so I can play a new note over the top that is then repeated and so on to create layered patterns.

Flashing tempo would be good.
Memory functions for settings would be good too.
Also being able to store pre-played sections of music would be great.
Midi clock sync/send could be useful, but if I can set the tempo's then it's not essential.

Am I going to be looking at several different pedals to do this or does anyone know if there is a stand alone unit?

I'm sure there's plenty on ipad or software for my laptop I could use to do this, but I have a strict "no mac on stage" aesthtic (probably my loss).

Cheers
Thomas

I have theRC50 loopstation, chich i chose for the midi functions, so ill answer cased on that.

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is what I need:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The ability to play for up to three minutes (maybe more) and then repeat that section of music with live playing over the top.[/font][/color][/b]
Yes, it can do this.

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The ability to repeat notes [/font][/color][u]once[/u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] that I've just played (say either a minim or semi breve at 80bpm) so I can play a new note over the top that is then repeated and so on to create layered patterns.[/font][/color][/b]
You have 3 'Phrases' (like tracks when recording) that you can control individuality. Each can be set to different lengths, and synced to the same midi clock. You can start and stop each at will. Each can be overdubbed (played over and recorded onto) infinity, with an undo function for the last overdub you did. also, you can set to repeat something just once if you wanted to (if that's what you meant).
i have a separate switch pedal to set with four buttons, one for each phase to start/stop it, and one to start/stop all. my usual thing is to set things that are always playing to phase 1, and then verse on phase 2, and chorus to phase 3, and hit the switches for them both at the same time to switch between. this can be done without the extra control pedal, but requires a bit more foot work.

[b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Flashing tempo would be good.[/font][/color][/b]
There is an LED that flashes in time with the temp you set.

[b]Memory functions for settings would be good too.[/b]
Yep. you can set knob values to either what the knob says, or memory (and then they change when you twiddle with the knob)

][b]Also being able to store pre-played sections of music would be great.[/b]
i think you have about 50min of memory that you can save, split between the 3 phases, and can be saved onto upto 99 patches (songs). You can upload mp3s instead of recorded loops i believe, but havnt tried.

[b]Midi clock sync/send could be useful, but if I can set the tempo's then it's not essential.[/b]
there is midi in and out (you can set out to be thru).
i have my drum machine (electribe esx1) and delay pedal (eventide timefactor) synced fine to it. it will sync to other units, but only when it revives a start message, which will start the selected phase to record.
It is still the most functional looper pedal as far as midi is concerned that i have come across. most simply dont have midi. Be weary of the RC300, i hear that it only syncs to other RC300 units.

RC50 should do all of the above.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. im sure someone else will be along with experience with other looper pedals for comparison.

(couldn't set those questions as quotes for some reason, kept not letting me post.)

Guest Jecklin

Hi elephantgrey!

Sorry for my slow reply and thank you for such a detailed response.
I really appreciate that.

Looks like the loop station RC50 ticks all my boxes.

Do you use live?
I too would be syncing with an electribe (possibly two) and would like the rc50 ro receive incoming midi clock.

Cheers
Thomas

I have used my RC50 live, but not with my electribe. It worked well as master to control the tempo of my delay on stage though. At the time i was in a rock band (part origionals, part covers) and used the RC50 mostly to lay a bassline down, and then play over it, mostly with a little distortion and some delay. One notable exception i used it for was our coer of the hives song 'told you so' which i used the loop pedal to loop teh main riff during the bass-only section in the middle8 and the whole band froze in wierd possitions whilst the singer sang over it. It worked quite well (and confused a few punters, which is always a fun thing to do). It has held up great so far, no nasty supprises.

As an aside, i have been trying to get a midi foot controller to control my electribe (im starting to play more out-there, electronic stuff), and have been having dificaulty. I am trying to get the controler to do things like start/stop; change pattern; change song. It is proving a bit beyond my knoledge of midi. I think i have simply gotten the wrong type of foot controler, it sends program change messages, i think i need one to send CC.

Edit: i have used the RC50 and electribe very well in practices, we just havnt giged in this setup yet. From my expirences so far, i am not worried about using them live at all.

Edited by elephantgrey