Why become a member? ×

Crunchy bass effect??

mol man

well if your looking to make things a bit more crunchy id imagine you will need a small amount of dist in the pedal you get maybe a light overdrive is what you are after? the mesa flux drive is good for this at low gain it just adds a bit of hair and if you use the eq it adds a nice bit of bite!

or depending on your amp you could use an eq pedal for a slight boost to the gain and treble, this will work better if you have an amp with a valve pre

andy

If you need pedals I suggest a Harke Bass for Attack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C91FNiALTFY

I also have a Agro Aguilar distortion. Yes its a distortion but it adds lots of crunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxwRcWv32I

Hope that helps

Edited by icastle
Links fixed.

You don't want a fizzy distortion / fuzz sound which is fine. I don't like that either! But overdrive when done tastefully can sound very nice!! Check out some video demos on youtube to get a fair idea of what you like. My first port of call when I moved away from clean tones was the Sansamp Bass Driver, but you could also have a look at the Tech 21 VT Bass. I'd also recommend the Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive! There's a LOT more out there, but those are the most widely used and the most easily available.

Guest FretNoMore

Just a bit of crunch to make the bass sound less "nice" is just what I have been after too.

The SolidGoldFX Beta mentioned above is nice, though it does add a tad of extra low end (not necessarily a bad thing).

The Beta was pushed off the board by my current favourite and almost-always-on pedal, the Carl Martin Bassdrive. It's big and requires mains power but it does the trick for me, adds as small an amount of grit that you like to add texture to the sound without obvious distortion.

Edited by FretNoMore