Why become a member? ×

just had another Jake Newman lesson :-)

Its been a while since we had a big up thread for Jake :D
As ever I have plenty of home work to do mainly on the two octave scale in F but its all the little pointers that add up to a noticeable improvement before he has even left, all tailored to my (lack of) ability so it covers my technique, theory, practice regime and general playing,thanks again Jake :)

Just played the two octave F scale up and down a few times in a row with the misery stick Jake, and it was OK you know! Going up is pretty tight now even with the focus of the bow, I have discovered like everyone else putting virtually no rosin on appears to work very well. Lol. Going back down needs work but it should really tighten up that area where I am most vulnerable ADGC across the strings going up to the the D neck area. I have been looking at the chords within the scale too, I have been doing them sat down with an acoustic 4 string bass before transfering them to DB and something is trying to click....give me a few weeks :)

I wasn't sure how good my bow was and wanted to blame that until Jake declared and proved it really good then even purchased one himself, lol. Powder rosin sounds good as I presume its less prone to temperature changes? Got a linky Floyd? :) im thinking spiros are probably not the best arco string for a novice like me?

Set of innovations b140 and goldflex is what I use. http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/pirastro-goldflex-rosin.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=price_comparison&utm_content=224451&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmayfBRDo25CR9un4hvEBEiQAv9fBbWZ9JUoEJnhoiC6ks_4u-fGx-oIpB5OAVHSRR_RC8ksaAtdZ8P8HAQ

If you want any tips pm me. Prefer to help people who are interested in bass as opposed to trolling what I have to say.

Edited by FLoydElgar

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1407920511' post='2525269']
Set of innovations b140 and goldflex is what I use. [url="http://www.ackermanmusic.co.uk/pirastro-goldflex-rosin.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=price_comparison&utm_content=224451&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmayfBRDo25CR9un4hvEBEiQAv9fBbWZ9JUoEJnhoiC6ks_4u-fGx-oIpB5OAVHSRR_RC8ksaAtdZ8P8HAQ"]http://www.ackermanm...C8ksaAtdZ8P8HAQ[/url]

If you want any tips pm me. Prefer to help people who are interested in bass as opposed to trolling what I have to say.
[/quote]
Hey Floyd, I'm sorry to hear you feel trolled, is it here specifically? I can't for the life of me remember you saying anything that didn't make sense... As a fellow lover of DB keep contributing mate, your input has always been interesting to me!

I always found Spiros fine for arco Pete, I had them on the bass I just sold, but I'm used to bowing more jazz orientated strings, which gives me hope of sounding ok on the more classically orientated :D
I think for what you're doing they are fine, I will bring my bass to yours one time though and let you try the Silver Slaps, they have a lovely front to the sound and are really easy on the hands due to the tension.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Pete I know you're not a troll! I was just saying if you do get powder rosin I can tell you some tips on using it. Via pm!! :)

@Jake - cheers mate! Innovation 140b are really nice have to play close to bridge and straight for the g string as it's quite thick!
But I love then they are the bomb I paid £90 inc delivery and they opened my bass up a new level!
I had belcantos pretty much standard strong sets!
but for half the price and a great set can't go wrong to be honest!

http://www.innovationstrings.com/inn_products.htm