Why become a member? ×

What effekt can give me a good tone

isteen

Not used to using any effects other than a compressor, I was curious about how I could get a better tone from my TC Electronic BG250 combo with a 15" speaker.
Is a preamp the way to go (Sansamp or the Behringer clone), to get a more big fat sounding fuller tone without overdrive?

is there a tone your specifically after? I.E any examples of a sound you would like to emulate or use as a launch pad? That might be an easier / faster way to help find the sound your after!

Also just looked into your amp and I think you can download patches onto it with preset effects maybe have a look through those as well!
http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-115/toneprints/

As Old Ben says above, examples of the "tone" you are looking for would help.

For me, the EBS Multicomp does the job perfectly. Fattens my sound and gives me a lovely presence that does not feel artificial at all.

Another cool pedal, but different to the Multicomp, is the Wren&Cuff Phat Phuk B. Yes it is a booster, but id adds a nice sparkle in the top end, gives you some nice extra grittier mids and keeps your low end nicely.

Depends on what you are looking for mate.

Remember that you're somewhat limited by what the amp is/isn't capable of.
My suggestion would be to look for an bass/amp combination that gives you the sound you want, then just use pedals as colours on top of that!

Si

• 4 months later...

the compressor is not helping your tone at all. more EQ in front of that amp won't help either as that amp already has plenty of EQ. Your bass may be the issue; have you tried other basses through that amp with all the tone controls set 'flat'? remember that EQ is often best used as a 'subtractive' element. Try cutting the frequencies you don't want instead of trying to 'add' the ones you do want, you might find that helpful..

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1419682455' post='2641839']

But you can roll it in glitter!
[/quote]
But the foundation is still crap.

Like has been said, it depends on what sound you want.
Are you playing rock, jazz, funk, electronica, punk, RnB or something else?
I found an octaver, a filter and a distortion gave me a good sound for playing electronica.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1407157769' post='2517842']
Remember that you're somewhat limited by what the amp is/isn't capable of.
My suggestion would be to look for an bass/amp combination that gives you the sound you want, then just use pedals as colours on top of that!

Si
[/quote]

this.

I'd start with a bass that gives you that tone, roughly, then play with it and modify it, but start with the right source