Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings

venividivigor

i used to always use the hybrid slinky 45.65.85.105 set but got sick of paying big money for a set of strings that [i]could[/i] go dead on me in one gig if i played hard/sweated loads

just got a nice little deal with rotosound and trying out the swing bass 66 (in the same gauge)at the moment, they sound insane! so aggressive and awesome

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1407437205' post='2520586']
I like them a lot when new. Plenty of bite and presence. However, they can go dead quicker than some other strings sometimes.
[/quote]

Agree, my last set lost their sparkle after about a month of regular playing. When they're fresh on there aren't many better strings in my opinion.

[quote name='venividivigor' timestamp='1407098231' post='2517355']
I bought this set a couple of days ago and I would like you to tell me your experience with this one, and if you've tried others like the regular or super slinky. They feel good so far and I'm liking the sound. Looking forward to reading your impressions and opinions.
[/quote]

I work in a music shop, and one of our regulars and friends of ours used Ernie Ball regular slinky religiously for his guitar. He came in one day, however, and we were out of stock of the regulars. He was persuaded to try to Hybrids instead. Anyway, he came in through the week, lifted a set of Hybrids, and I asked him why he didn't want the regulars anymore. He pretty much just said that he realised that the hybrids suited himself much better.

That was for guitar, though. I've tried Ernie Ball bass strings before (just the regulars), and I found them to be alright. They have a good life to them, but they sound a bit... I dunno... generic? And they are quite expensive, IMO, for that reason.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1407437205' post='2520586']
I like them a lot when new. Plenty of bite and presence. However, they can go dead quicker than some other strings sometimes.
[/quote] Agree they sound nice when new but they go dead seriously quick and ain't exactly cheap I gave up on them a while ago (super slinkys)

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1407574048' post='2521855']
a month?! man, i wish i could get that kind of longevity, my strings are toast after a few gigs, and noticeably duller after one
[/quote]

I'm exclusively a bedroom rocker these days which probably has some bearing on it. Still, I get more life out of EB's than I used to get out of the Rotosounds that I used before.