Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass 4x10's thoughts?..

witterth

Right, I've NEVER heard a bad word about this stuff, and was considering off loading at least 4 trace cabs in exchange for some of these, what do you guys think? Allright,I don't carry 4 cabs about its just I heard these were really good and did the same job without the chiropractic input. I want to still use a trace head will that work? whaddya think? thank you gentelmen

Not for me... I think the Mark bass stuff I've tried and heard does ok...
but nothing special. I think it will hit volumes but it lacks any real oomph.
The units they used to use were well regarded but that in itself doesn't make
it work. More modern sounding...or the amps are, IMO, so close but no cigar.

A step on from TE though, if only because you'd expect technology to evolve for the
better.
£ for pound, I'd exchange/swap TE for Mark bass but otherwise I'd buy the latter
s/h.

I had the Markbass 104HR, was a great cab, probably one of the best cabs I`ve had. Just needed lighter gear, hence getting Markbass 112 combo & 112 ext cab and moving the 410 on. If my back wasn`t bad, I`d have kept hold of the 410.

I used TE 4x10s for a long time. Pretty good and reliable just a tad heavy! Lol. Had the new trace ones too.Got myself a pair of MB 4x10s now a HF front ported,monster bass end and sweet mids and on top I have the HR 4x10 which has loads of punch and its rear ported. Definate difference to each cab. I have had Swrs,warwicks,trace elliots,Harke,Ampegs,Ashdown and a couple of handmade 4x10s but will stick to these MBs now. Best cabs I have had for overall tone clarity and bottom end. Couldnt get on with the MB amps though. I just use my Trace V4 Mk2 200watt valve head.Everything set pretty flat and its awesome.

Edited by mikhay77

I have a Markbass 4x10 (104HR) which is a superb cab in comparison to all major bass brands that I have had or used. including Acoustic, Ampeg, Fender, Laney, GK, Hiwatt, Hartke, SWR etc. I have used a variety of MB cab combinations over the last several years and they all have brilliant power to weight ratio and a nice punchy but warm sound. Recently I have been using Vanderkleys (which are even more expensive than MB) but for my ears give greater clarity, articulation and seem to cut through the mix slighty better. Cheers

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1407199385' post='2518355']
The first time I went to lift a Markbass 4x10 I nearly threw it in the air, it's so light. I was used to lugging around an Ashdown ABM 4x10 at the time, so you can maybe understand my overcompensation ;)
[/quote]

After I sold my Markbass 104HF I got a Peavey Pro 410, pretty much exactly the same size/shape/look etc... Tried to pick it up and my spine nearly folded in half :lol: Great cab but it just didn't have the same upper midrange clarity, and the 1" compression driver is the best and most musical sounding tweeter I've ever heard. Hence me going back to Markbass after such a short time :D

I use a 4ohm 104HF and I love it. Can't really comment on the weight as, coz I'm a tool, I have it flightcased!

[URL=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/woodsy_photos/media/92B89C36-3BC0-41CB-A787-3AAB248B1F02.jpg.html][IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/woodsy_photos/92B89C36-3BC0-41CB-A787-3AAB248B1F02.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by woodster

I've got an MBcl115 and cl210. great cabs but the tweeter/horns are rubbish so I keep them turned right down. At high volume they( theweeters) just sound awful. But other than that I love the cabs. Normal rig is ampeg PF500 and the club 1x15. It goes thru the PA for more oomph. No plans to try any other cabs any time soon

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1407660691' post='2522604']
I've got an MBcl115 and cl210. great cabs but the tweeter/horns are rubbish so I keep them turned right down. At high volume they( theweeters) just sound awful. But other than that I love the cabs. Normal rig is ampeg PF500 and the club 1x15. It goes thru the PA for more oomph. No plans to try any other cabs any time soon
[/quote]

I have the Club 212, shame they discontinued the Club series.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1407672838' post='2522774']
I have the Club 212, shame they discontinued the Club series.
[/quote]

Yeah they were a great idea! They seem to discontinue everything exciting because of how good the standard or traveller series cabs are. I want them to bring back the Classic series sealed cabs with the tolex and black grille cloth... I need a 2x10 to match my 4x10 :gas:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1407673135' post='2522781']

Yeah they were a great idea! They seem to discontinue everything exciting because of how good the standard or traveller series cabs are. I want them to bring back the Classic series sealed cabs with the tolex and black grille cloth... I need a 2x10 to match my 4x10 :gas:
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess so. I had a traveller 102p and to be fair, it was awesome. I'd love another one. I've not played a Classic, but they do look great.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1407687923' post='2523037']
Yeah, I guess so. I had a traveller 102p and to be fair, it was awesome. I'd love another one. I've not played a Classic, but they do look great.
[/quote]

Yep they are gorgeous looking things! They sound like the standard series but with a tighter low end. They are 3db less sensitive and the tweeter has an on/off switch rather than a rotary control.

I've had both Mark Bass 4x10's and the front ported one delivered thunderous lows, which once you stop smiling, you then realise isn't doing the 'onstage' sound much good. The rear ported one is a little punchier. I would have to dissagree with one of the comments above which describes 'sweet mids' as I think that this is where MB cabs fall down.
I may have been be spoilt though with my Bergs.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1407876385' post='2525028']
The Jazz Cafe in London has a MarkBass 6x10 as the house cab and it always sounds great. I've seen all sorts of people using it and it seems really adaptable as well.
[/quote]

That's true

[URL=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/woodsy_photos/media/C7788DF7-DC56-4A51-8524-8863CD386C23.jpg.html][IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g170/woodsy_photos/C7788DF7-DC56-4A51-8524-8863CD386C23.jpg[/IMG][/URL]