Why become a member? ×

hmm should i swap

gafbass02

Recently picked up an as new squier VMJ fretless jazz on here, to which i promptly added a tortoisehell scratchplate to 'de-jacofi' it a bit.
However i think i bought it cause i used to play all fretless years ago and thought i missed it, turns out i dont!, so im sorta thinking of swapping it for the squier vmj p bass if i can find an interested party, BUT, and this is where you guys come in, should i?
As it goes i already have six stunning fretted basses, so would a simple squier P be worth it?, ive never owned a P but i fancy the idea of slowly modding a white one. But surely its more sense to keep a fretless handy 'just incase'!? As i can get a pretty convincing fretless sound from my other basses, but then i can also get a convincing P sound?
thoughts?

A fretless is always a useful tool to have in your arsenal. You never know when the time might come when ONLY that sound will do, especially if you're used to playing sessions. It's also a great skill to be able to play fretless in tune, and as you know when you go out of practice for a while, it's very hard to slide back into your usual patterns (pun absolutely intended)

I'd keep it just for the purposes of being a more versatile bassist overall!

Hope this helps,

Danny

Keep the fretless - I've played fretless for about 10 years now, can't beat it for the sort of stuff I do... I recently bought a cheap fretted 5 but only as a back up, can't see ever replacing the fretless as my main bass, but good to have the alternative :) just in case...

Edited by jwbassman

I tried a VM Squier fretless recently and loved it. I'm comparing it to a japanese fender jazz fretless, and a custom built fretless 5. There's nothing wrong with th VM squires - I bought a VM 70's jazz recently and find I'm gigging with it more and more, despite having around 10 other fretted basses to choose from!