Why become a member? ×

Eastman Double basses ?

ambient

As you can see from my other thread, and my wanted advert, I'm in the market for a cheap'ish double bass :) .

I really want something 2nd hand, I'm going to be using it for small gigs and a bit of busking for a latin/jazz set that my one band plays.

I'm also maybe leaning towards the rental thing. There's a shop not too far from me called Bassbags -

[url="http://www.bassbags.co.uk/Double-Bass-Hire.html"]http://www.bassbags.co.uk/Double-Bass-Hire.html[/url]

You can rent an Eastman double bass for £40 a month, or £70 with the rent to buy scheme, after 24 months the bass is yours.

The guy at the shop seems incredibly friendly and helpful.

All the basses are totally set up before they leave the shop, new strings, top nut, bridge and fingerboard are planed to match, the sound post is adjusted etc.

So it all seems great :) .

Are these basses any good though ?

Or would I maybe be better off getting something used in a month or so when I've more cash ?

Thanks in anticipation of your wise words !

Hhhmmm how much are they to buy? By my rough calcs you could buy a Gedo like mine after 12 months of the rental plan £840 ( Mine cost a grand with the extras and postage but you can still get a half carved one £840 including postage I think, just) If you wanted to sell it on later I cant see it being worth less than £500 ever probably more if it had nice strings and a good setup etc. 18 months interest free credit card £70 per month paid back would give you £1260 to spend and give you international purchase protection if buying from abroad, :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407258494' post='2518905']
That sounds like a fair deal and a good chance to see if you really bond with the bass then :)

EDIT just to ask, are there no credit checks on it then? what is to stop you from taking the bass and not returning it?
[/quote]

You have to take photo ID, I asked if my student ID card was ok and he said yes, you need a debit card and proof of your address.

Jobs a good un then, I couldnt find anything suitable near me when I bought my Gedo, moseley violins didnt stock anything under a few grand back then, I would have almost certainly had the eastman they stock and had them do the setup for me. I guess these shops are realising the cheaper end but proper decent playable basses are becoming in demand right now!