Why become a member? ×

Bumps on Realist

Lazybirdpete

Know what you mean, I've always felt it's a slightly flawed system as the bridge feet are fitted so exactly but I asked top luthier laurence dixon and he said don't worry about it , it shouldn't make a difference to the sound, bridges do move more when knocked though with a realist under them. Pups are a necessary evil of the loud modern stage I suppose but I still think they all sound rubbish!

It's also a good idea to rub a bit of rosin or candle wax on both sides of the foil before you install the pickup to help it stick to the belly of the bass. Otherwise, as the bridge starts to tilt forward under tuning the pickup can suddenly slip out from underneath the bridge foot, sending your bridge flying one way and your soundpost in another.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1407280320' post='2519209']
The bumps are the piezo elements. Eventually the pressure of the bridge will make little dents on the top of your bass and the bridge foot will sit flat.
[/quote]

Oh I thought before that you said the idea was to get small dents in the bass to make it fit snugly?

I meant that eventually, the pressure on the pickup elements will make little dents in the table/bridge and allow the bridge foot to sit flush.
It's not something that you 'have' to do, it's something that just happens.