Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1407841527' post='2524481']
Hi Simon, that's great and well done for entering!

These monthly challenges have few rules...
[/quote]

I'm not sure that Simon was really entering his excellent piece as part of the Challenge. It was posted to Soundcloud a couple of month's ago, and wasn't composed to match this month's pic. Perhaps he could confirm this..? Maybe it could be moved to its rightful place, in the Showcase..?
There's still time to create a piece inspired by the pic, of course; you'd be more than welcome. The more, the merrier (within reason... It'll get difficult if there's a hundred or so entries..! :lol:[size=4] )[/size]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1407842520' post='2524492']
I'll have to take out the sousaphone solo then!
[/quote]

Ooh I do love a good sousaphone! :) Seriously... I've been watching the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treme_%28TV_series%29"]'Treme'[/url] TV series recently, which features some gratuitous sousaphone action along with other great 'second line' parade and jazz music. Well worth a watch if you get chance.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407843108' post='2524498']
I'm not sure that Simon was really entering his excellent piece as part of the Challenge. It was posted to Soundcloud a couple of month's ago, and wasn't composed to match this month's pic. Perhaps he could confirm this..? Maybe it could be moved to its rightful place, in the Showcase..?
There's still time to create a piece inspired by the pic, of course; you'd be more than welcome. The more, the merrier (within reason... It'll get difficult if there's a hundred or so entries..! :lol:[size=4] )[/size]
[/quote]

Ahhh.... well spotted Detective Dad. If it's not written and recorded in the month of the challenge, then we have to rule it out.

Shame, but [i]"them's the rules!"[/i]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1407843566' post='2524505']
Ahhh.... well spotted Detective Dad. If it's not written and recorded in the month of the challenge, then we have to rule it out.

Shame, but [i]"them's the rules!"[/i]
[/quote]

I'm not sure the rules have been broken, as such; simply that Simon is mistaken, and should have posted here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/95-share-your-music/"]Share your music...[/url]

Try a PM to him to see if he's agreeable to moving the piece to there..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407844230' post='2524524']I'm not sure the rules have been broken, as such; simply that Simon is mistaken...[/quote]

Oh no... the rules have been broken and someone, somewhere, must pay the price for this fragrant disregard of authority! I mean, what would the world come to if we let such misdemeanors go unnoticed? It would be anarchy. Pure, unadulterated, Mohican-biker-gangs-with-crossbows-Mad Max style anarchy. And it could start right here.

Not on my watch, Daddy-O! Not on [i]my[/i] watch :D

But in all seriousness, I'm sure Simon will be along in due course to shed light on it.

[size=2]If not, we'll break out the riot shields.[/size]..

[quote name='sybass6' timestamp='1407950313' post='2525675']
Ever so sorry folks.......I didn't read the guidelines :-)

Please feel free to delete it......

Sorry.
[/quote]

Don't worry mate!

It's a crackingly good track so thanks for sharing it. No sense in deleting it - in fact you might want to re-post it in the Share Your Music forum where it'll likely get a few more listens:

http://basschat.co.uk/forum/95-share-your-music/

There's still plenty of time to write something for this month, so why not strap on that Ebow and get recording? :)

Paul

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1408176176' post='2527769']
I'd like to apologise for any distress caused by my entry this month. I blame Soundcloud for not allowing 96kHz upload...
[/quote]

Now look, Lenny, let's be serious. This is a flagrant breach of the Trade Descriptions Act, 1924, Paragraph 6b, alinia 17, as there is nothing but foot-tapping delight in listening through to all that. Not an ounce of distress in there (unless your Wal is 'distressed'..? That would surprise me..!). I recognise much of the trombone madness, as we had a brass section in the late-lamented Kiemsa with a similar bent for odd-ball phrasing; I think it's hormonal, but it could be just something in the water.
Such a shame that the innate quality is completely destroyed by the 48 kHz sampling. One can only imagine, through the dusty ruins left by such mangling, what absolute gems have been cast aside in the insane quest for technical concision and download speed. There is a lesson for us all here; record at 28 kHz and allow the conversion to 48 kHz to double the quality of the opus. It's so simple, once you know.
The Challenge ball is well and truly rolling, now. Any more stepping into the ring..? Yes, the competition is fierce, but the rewards..! Think of it..! Standing next to the shoulders of giants such as Len..! Oh, the giddy heights..! Come on, bring 'em on... <_<[size=4] [/size]

I felt that you need foot-tapping to go with head chopping! After all, our guest bedroom has the double delights hanging on the wall of The Beheading of Lady Jane Gray and the truly joyous Witches At Their Incantations.
Our visitors sleep well...
As for compression rates, 28kHz would allow a maximum frequency of 12.72kHz. Even my half-century-old-increasingly-flappy ears can hear higher than that! At 96kHz it sounded really open with space between all the instruments; you could even hear the 4 individual basses in the last bit... And horn-wise, the 'bonist and I will hopefully be getting together with a local (lady!) drummer and electronic whizz to form the Bucknell Noise Collective. Shropshire folkies will love it!

I made some progress over the weekend so should get something in this month. Not sure how 'finished' it will be. though. It all depends on how much time I can put in on it. What I have so far is a Sibelius chart that sounds great as a substantive skeleton track (bass, accordian, flute, piccolo, flugelhorn and strings). It needs to be converted into a MIDI file, uploaded onto Cubase and populated with VSTs before I add more 'real' instruments (nylon guitar and electric guitar at least) and some vocals. It could be done, though. We'll see.