Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

Got another session in last night and got what I have done into Cubase and added nylon guitar and fretless bass. Now I need to think about my VSTs. The ones I used yesterday had a slow attack on the strings and sounded out of synch as a result. Need to find another sound to approximate an accordian!! The one on Sibelius sounds perfect but I cannot use it 'off piste'!! This part is always frustrating because you can spend hours on just searching for a sound and make no real progress on the project.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1408450163' post='2530219']
Got another session in last night and got what I have done into Cubase and added nylon guitar and fretless bass. Now I need to think about my VSTs. The ones I used yesterday had a slow attack on the strings and sounded out of synch as a result. Need to find another sound to approximate an accordian!! The one on Sibelius sounds perfect but I cannot use it 'off piste'!! This part is always frustrating because you can spend hours on just searching for a sound and make no real progress on the project.
[/quote]

I've had 'false delay' effect with strings, too; I brought them forward slightly ahead of time to compensate. Isn't that how string players play in real life anyway..?
Harmonica can do accordion quite well, I think..?

Can't wait to listen to the result, anyhow... :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1408452026' post='2530259']
been trying to get a couple of hours for this, but getting married in less than 3 weeks so i just don't have no time.. hopefully once its done i can start entering monthly again
[/quote]

Well, of all the feeble excuses... :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]... and I'll be very surprised if you have more time free [i]after [/i]the wedding than [i]before[/i]..! :lol:[/size]

[size=4]...[/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]No, seriously; congratulations, get back if/when you can, we'll keep a candle burning in the window... B)[/size]

Added some ES175 lines last night and followed Dad's advice and moved the 'slow' instruments forward a tiny notch. Seems to have sorted the problem nicely. Lesson learned. I also copied some parts and double them up which filled things out nicely, as did chaning the Philharmonik string pads from 11 strings to 23. I have an irritatingly quiet flugelhorn/trumpet part that I need to change to something with more presence. May try oboe or clarinet or even English Horn. My composition has essentially based around three counterpoint lines (4 but one is minimal) that all need to be heard simulaneously. I am trying to find a way of bringing each line forward without creating a mush. It is all in the arrangement but this is compromised by the technology so I have to find an alternative means to get to my intended end.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1408532891' post='2531066']...I am trying to find a way of bringing each line forward without creating a mush...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Bilbo...

If you've a few minutes to consecrate, you may find this interesting...

http://youtu.be/zngHDIXTQGw

I think that this could maybe address your issue; I found it very useful (and easy, and free..!). Worth a look..?

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1408533225' post='2531071']
When does voting start on this?
[/quote]

Good afternoon, lowdown...

Well, it's Skol303 calling the shots on this, but 'officially', entries are to be 'in' by midnight on Sunday, 24th, so voting would presumably start following that, subject to Skol's availability (and having a few more pieces to vote for..! :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4]). Usually, there's a bit of 'wiggle room' built-in for unforeseen events, such as unfinished opuses, web downtime, lightning strikes or attack from penguins, though. :mellow:[/size]

Regarding 'slow speaking' strings, some of the sample libraries can be controlled
with the mod wheel. Right down = slow attack, then moving up for a quicker or instant attack.
This can be controlled and recorded after the note entry, or of course painted in
the cc# lanes or PRV.

As Dad said, nudging over as well,
(but you are still left with the problem of slow attack, if not wanted).
In fact if you have block chords,
or even just double stops (which ever section), never have them both hit at the same time,
nudge one (or more if chords) over. Apart from sounding more realistic, it can stop any phasing
issues (especially on unison lines) when bounced to Audio.

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1408533225' post='2531071']When does voting start on this?[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1408535328' post='2531109']...'officially', entries are to be 'in' by midnight on Sunday, 24th, so voting would presumably start following that, subject to Skol's availability (and having a few more pieces to vote for..! :rolleyes:[size=4]). Usually, there's a bit of 'wiggle room' built-in for unforeseen events, such as unfinished opuses, web downtime, lightning strikes or attack from penguins, though. :mellow:[/size][/quote]

Yup, the deadline for entries is midnight this coming Sunday (24th).

...assuming the penguins don't intervene [i]again![/i] It's not their unrelenting evil that perturbs me, but that funny walk they insist on doing. Damn their souls.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1408541642' post='2531209']
...assuming the penguins don't intervene [i]again![/i] It's not their unrelenting evil that perturbs me, but that funny walk they insist on doing. Damn their souls.

[/quote]

They don't half pen and ink as well.

I have learned a lot about the recording process this time. For instance, I had an awful crackling sound that I assumed was the PC no being able to handle the amount of processing required to allow for the number of VSTs I was using but, after some fiddling, I relaised that I was using the same VST effect on too many channels so, as soon as I turned them off, the noise stopped. I added them again one by one and then used alternatives to achieve the same reverb and echo effects and achieved my intended end without the noise. That is just one example. Got much better levels this time, learned a bit more about Miroslav Philharmonik etc. Brilliant fun.

The composition is coming together ok but I always have this trouble with getting VSTs to sound organic and it all sounds a bit 'sequenced'. I guess that's the nature of it.

I'll join in this month. Just finished this a couple of days ago. First time using Cubasis so good learning experience. This one is complete with accidentals. That will be when John the Baptist's head was cut off. :lol:
The Overwater SDS took the lead tune and ACG Finn did the bass line.

[size=4][url="https://soundcloud.com/bassbus/harvest-rain"]https://soundcloud.c...us/harvest-rain[/url][/size]

Edited by BassBus

Chilling..! A different atmosphere here ( ... [i]but aren't they all different..?[/i] :unsure:[size=4] ). On the button for reflecting the pic. The challenge is hotting up... [/size]

[size=4]( ... [i]but I thought you said it was 'chilling'..?[/i] :unsure: )[/size]

[i][size=4]( [/size][/i][size=4][i]Can I come out from under the bed-clothes now..?[/i] :blush: )[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

I have got very little chance this month , but September will see me back in the fold I am sure , I will hang fire from listening to the input so far , just in case I find the time and the room . The lad has found gainful employment and will move all his gear out next weekend ,so all systems could be go again then !!

Upping the game further..! It's going to be a real hum-dinger this month (once again..!), and there's maybe more to come..! Comments after the voting, Bilbo, but a fine construction; works very well. I've a new Superlux headset for monitoring and mixing, and I can now actually hear flutes. I certainly heard yours..! [size=4][sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485][/size]
Any more for any more..? Come along, folks; don't be shy..! It's good fun, really it is..!