Why become a member? ×

Decisions Decisions. Opinions wanted.

Dave_the_bass

I'm in the market for some distortion!

I've never been a huge fan of bass distortion as it always seems to make things a bit muddy. The band I'm in requires some filthy dirty bass tones so I need to grow my pedal board.

As I really don't want to make my sound too muddy I've done some thinking, and some research, and narrowed my options down to the following:

Brimstone D1

or

SFX X&M with some nice sounding valve overdrive

Any opinions gratefully received.

Ashdown James Lomenzo Hyperdrive. Possibly the EBS Sheehan pedal. Don't know if They're as extreme as the Brimstone pedal though. The hyperdrive is a bargain!

Hyperdrive Demo With James LoMenzo: http://youtu.be/aQDSDA929Sw

Just to close this topc:

I went to a real, bricks n' mortar, shop and tried out all of the dirty pedals they had in stock.

After about an hour of noodling with them I paid the man and walked out of the shop with a smile on my face and a bearded lady in my hand.

Turns out that the sound I had in my head was some old school fuzz.

I still need to get it in to the mix with a live band but, as a solo, pedal it's got a very pleasing array of dirt available.

I'd recommend that anyone wanting the Cliff Burton (For whom the bell tolls) type tone could do a lot worse than give it a try.

Oh, it's retro styling also helped to seal the deal as it should look very pretty nestled alongside the aguilar octamizer on my pedal board. (Note to self: finish building pedal board)

Edited by Dave_the_bass