Why become a member? ×

Tecamp Puma 500 thoughts?

tonyclaret

• 3 weeks later...

Great amps - owned the 500 and now own the 900.
They are on the neutral side of the tonal characteristics, with a great eq (like Luke wrote),
and a taste knob that lets you scoop or add some mids.

They also have a headphone out and CD player in, which is a nice feature for practicing.

Can't say much more than has already been mentioned, as it's all bang on and I love mine.

It's the first gen 2U model, and does sound fat/warm or bright/angular and makes any bass sound great. I use it with the M212 cab and it's a very light, portable and loud rig.

D.

Guest monsterthompson

I had a 900 and the upgraded to the Jag900. The Puma is a very nice, clean amp. The Taste control is pretty powerful, swinging from warm into dark, or woody and growly, all without touching the 4-band EQ. Some have said they'd take a Puma with only a volume and a Taste control :) I had one of the newer models, and while I heard the earlier powersoft ones were bigger and fatter, I found nothing lacking in mine. If 500w will do the trick, I think you are looking at a fine amp. However, I don't think the price to go up to the 900 is all that much more.