Why become a member? ×

Shadow pickup

kedo

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
I fitted a Shadow SH950 pickup to my DB about 4 years ago and promptly damaged it by walking off stage with the bass still attached to the amp (the bit of velcro supplied with this pickup is ludicrously inadequate, and I would advise anyone fitting one of these units to acquire a rigid anchor for the female jack. These can be got through Basschat members). I had the unit soldered, but lately found that the sensor nearest the jack (the damaged one) is only about half as loud as the other. Perhaps one of the sensors (there are two in each pad) is not working.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
I seem to have two options: purchase another SH950 (or is there a better alternative considering I am plagued with feedback in spite of my Fishman Platinum Pro preamp) or surgically remove the damaged sensor and convert it into a single SH951. If I do this, which side of the bridge is best, and how much performance would I sacrifice? [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
I play through a markbass CMD 121P combo and use a New York extension for back line when there is no sound man and house rig. I have noticed recently a loud ‘“crack” coming from the combo (NY not attached) when playing a loud low E. I heard it again at an important gig last night when I was attached to the desk and only using the combo as a monitor. Today, as an experiment, I disconnected the combo speaker and connected the NY but couldn’t recreate the crack, which points to a speaker problem, but of course the amp is not experiencing the direct vibrations from the remote combo speaker. I can’t recreate it with my passive P bass. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
Markbass are very helpful and the amp is still under warranty. They say it is unlikely to be a speaker issue, but probably a mains attachment problem. I have used various mains leads and this doesn’t help although that's what it sounds like. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
I don’t want to return it until I eliminate a possible problem from a faulty pickup. Any suggestions would be welcome.[/size][/font]